EMG Mark IX Brushes for Garrard Electric Universal Motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Idelia412
Victor Jr
Personal Text: EMG

EMG Mark IX Brushes for Garrard Electric Universal Motor

Post by Idelia412 »

I have an EMG Mark IX Gramophone that I acquired in England and I think the motor needs new brushes. Can anyone tell me the size or type I need to get for the Garrard Universal motor and where I can obtain them? Any help would be appreciated and I am located in the USA.

Thanks,

Pete Petersen

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: EMG Mark IX Brushes for Garrard Electric Universal Motor

Post by chunnybh »

Hi Pete,
Can you post some pictures. I assume they unscrew from the body.

Idelia412
Victor Jr

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello again,

Just an FYI, my motor needed more than brushes. I found a motor restore shop and they had to totally rebuild or restore the motor. The armature had to be rewound, and who knows what else. They have been in business for over 40 years or so. It took them about a month to restore the motor, and it works fine now in my EMG.

Regards,

Pete

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Pete, thanks for the info... It could be great if you share the name and address of these people. There's a placed in there forum for useful links and addresses. ;)
Inigo

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

definitely recommend looking over (or having someone look over) the commutator when replacing brushes. sometimes they can simply be cleaned and polished, sometimes they need more work than that. sometimes they can be left alone entirely. you'll get better life out of the new brushes if the commutator is smooth and in good condition.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Inigo wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:21 pm Pete, thanks for the info... It could be great if you share the name and address of these people. There's a placed in there forum for useful links and addresses. ;)
Any competent motor repair shop should be able to do this kind of work. There's a motor re-build shop in most good sized city here in the states.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Great news! Glad to hear your EMG is up and running. Are you still in Arizona?
Idelia412 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:28 am Hello again,

Just an FYI, my motor needed more than brushes. I found a motor restore shop and they had to totally rebuild or restore the motor. The armature had to be rewound, and who knows what else. They have been in business for over 40 years or so. It took them about a month to restore the motor, and it works fine now in my EMG.

Regards,

Pete

Idelia412
Victor Jr

Post by Idelia412 »

Hello again,

Here is the information on the repair shop in Glendale, Arizona that fixed my Garrard electric motor for my EMG Mark IX Gramophone. It was not cheap, but the motor needed a total rebuilt and ran around $600. I wanted to keep the machine original and not just put in another electric motor.

Run Em Again Electric Motors LLC
5126 West Luke Ave
Glendale, Arizona 85301
623-388-6898

Hope the above helps someone, sorry for such a late response.

Pete

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Thanks, Pete! I have a Victor Credenza (electric motor) that runs fine, but with an audible hum. I have heard other machines that are much quieter. Just might send the motor to them one of these days.