HMV model 88Z, with wooden motorboard

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV model 88Z, with wooden motorboard

Post by nostalgia »

Just sharing some photos of this model 88Z, since I guess the wooden motorboard are more rarely seen than cloth covered models. The same model was discussed in another thread on the Tricks and Tips section of the forum, with a brown inner lid, but on this model we are back to black. Yes, I know it is a cheap HMV model, but I still wanted to share the photos, since we all need some good old gramophones to look at to cheer us up these days. :coffee:
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: HMV model 88Z, with wooden motorboard

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a nice little 88Z. Mines practically the same except mine has the brown paper lid interior, and dates from 1948.
Cheap or not, it think they're a great machine. I especially like it for picnics in the park etc. They're not as loud as a 101/102, but still deliver a reasonable sound quality, and are very lightweight, which is a big advantage when you want to carry a stack of 78's as well.
It's a nice addition to your collection, and I'm sure you'll find it an enjoyable machine to use.
Congratulations.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I have actually not bought it yet, but your words for sure raise my appetite for this machine:)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Well I hope you do get it.
It appears to be in really good condition. I've never had issues with the motor slowing down even though the motor is quite small.

I know a lot of collector's turn their nose up at the 88's because they're not top of the line machines.
The same goes for the 97's, but personally I think the 88 is a much nicer machine to look at, although both models perform and sound the same.
I really like the painted hardware of the 88 because it's not as boring as the usual nickel and Chrome hardware you see on most other portable machines.
Actually, calling the hardware "painted" is probably the wrong terminology because it doesn't chip off or flake like paint would, so it's probably some sort of plating or baked process they used.