Asahi Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
bdada
Victor Jr

Asahi Phonograph

Post by bdada »

Hello all-
I had the great good fortune to pick up 85% of the rare handwind Asahi phonograph (also sold as the Vector Phonograph), but unfortunately it was missing the support rod that holds the reproducer, and also the small horn that connects to the reproducer. I wanted to ask if anyone has seen one of these and can tell me how the support rod connects to the reproducer. The patent drawing shows the rod connecting to a pocket on the backside of the reproducer, but in actuality there is no pocket or any other flange or logical way it connects. Logic says it connects to the small horn, right where the horn connects on the reproducer neck. This is the same machine pictured in the Talking Machine Compendium on pp207. Unfortunately, there is not enough detail to confirm exactly how this is connected. Needless to say, if anyone could provide a detailed photograph of this area I would be eternally grateful.

bdada
Victor Jr

Re: Asahi Phonograph

Post by bdada »

I figured I wouldn't get a reply for this since this machine is so obscure. In many years of looking I have only been able to find 3 pictures (including the one on Compendium)of this machine. So, the best I can do is share pics of mine. I am currently making a crank for the machine so you are seeing my progress so far- the wood handle is just sitting on the bar. I am also in the middle of rebuilding the reproducer so the needle bar/diaphragm is just sitting in the body. The missing reproducer support rod would attach to upright post seen on the end of one of the legs.
Attachments
IMG_2465.JPG
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That's very interesting.
I'd like to hear more about it too.

Thanks for posting the photos.
(It's always good when photos are included in a post) ;)

James.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Can you post a picture of the patent drawing? Otherwise, it reminds me of a small machine that I have where the reproducer connects to the small horn and the horn has a tubular extension attached to the middle of the horn, which connects to the pin on the support rod...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Here is a thread already posted on these.
Hope this helps.. ;).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3157&p=230522#p230522

bdada
Victor Jr

Post by bdada »

Here are screen shots from patent drawings. I have the patent as a .pdf and not sure if I can post it.
Attachments
patent dr 1.JPG
patent dr 2.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This is how I pictured it...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 6.35.59 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

bdada
Victor Jr

Post by bdada »

This is the setup I have always seen-rod support arm holding reproducer with small horn. The patent mentions (and shows) a cardboard horn that rolls and unrolls. I theorize that this small horn was a form that would hold the cardboard horn at the right angle and taper, but I have no proof of it. Seen in the background is the box that held all the parts. At first I assumed it was a fabric covered wooden box, but having never seen one in person I can't say that for sure. It could easily be a fabric covered cardboard box. The second picture is my reproduction of what is printed on the box top. The name Vector Phonograph has also been seen on the box top.
Attachments
n209640849.1.jpg
n209640849.1.jpg (17.88 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
box.JPG

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Interesting design--and one that has some parallels with certain high-end--I guess you'd call them "minimalist," plinth-free, in all events--turntables available in today's "audiophile" market, as, for instance, the one below ("borrowed" from the Web; I don't own one of these things and never will, as it lacks a 78 speed ;) ):
Attachments
AAVIDVOLVEREBLK_temp.jpg
AAVIDVOLVEREBLK_temp.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 1646 times