HMV 102 Motor Repair in UK

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

HMV 102 Motor Repair in UK

Post by Garret »

Who in the UK can service a HMV 102 motor? I want to put a new spring in one, but don't have the tools here, and might as well get this thing a full rebuild. Note that I live in Germany.

Thanks!

Garret

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: HMV 102 Motor Repair in UK

Post by Orchorsol »

soundgen of this parish!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Yes I can do it , BUT you should do it yourself it isn't difficult and the first spring replacement is the worst in terms of fear ! once the fear is overcome you can repair any motor / spring

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Garret wrote:Who in the UK can service a HMV 102 motor? I want to put a new spring in one, but don't have the tools here, and might as well get this thing a full rebuild. Note that I live in Germany.

Thanks!

Garret

what tools do you need ? a screwdriver , a spanner or pliers , some grease , everyone should learn how to do this , repairers are getting old and thin on the ground and coronavirus will reduce the number !

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

soundgen wrote:
Garret wrote:Who in the UK can service a HMV 102 motor? I want to put a new spring in one, but don't have the tools here, and might as well get this thing a full rebuild. Note that I live in Germany.

Thanks!

Garret

what tools do you need ? a screwdriver , a spanner or pliers , some grease , everyone should learn how to do this , repairers are getting old and thin on the ground and coronavirus will reduce the number !
I need all the standard size tools - no metric. Precision screwdrivers would also be great. Do you know where I can find them online in the UK? I used to have all these things, but think they were lost in the last move.

Garret

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
This is a link to the video that got me started on Graham's site, I've done about eight 270D motors now, they do actually get easier but never get distracted for a second!
I use an old pair of full finger leather gloves rather than the rubber ones, eye protection goes without saying but also consider wearing a long sleeved top etc.. I don't have a workbench so hold the barrel in my left hand and feed the spring in and out with my right, initially in a fishnet bag just in case but have a little more confidence now.
Steve

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Don't they sell screw drivers and pliars in Germany?
UK postage is probably the most expensive in the world.

Have you checked out the German forum?
Perhaps Starkton or another member in your area wouldn't mind a visitor and to show off his collection, and maybe he could help you pull it down and do the motor while you were there. Chances are he'd have all the correct equipment for the job, and I think most collector's won't mind helping out a fellow collector if they're set up for this kind of thing, and it gives you both a chance to talk shop etc.

Of course, with this virus around, day trips and casual visits may not be possible right now, but if you're not in a real hurry, what better way to get to know local collector's and probably see things you never knew existed and may never get a chance to see again.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Thanks!

Garret
Why do you want to put a new spring in ? Is the spring broken ?

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

soundgen wrote:

Thanks!

Garret
Why do you want to put a new spring in ? Is the spring broken ?
The motor only gets through a record when *fully* wound up. I would do it myself, but I don't have the tools here, and it is just one spring motor. It's easiest for me to just put it in a box and pay someone to do it currently.

Garret

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

soundgen wrote:

Thanks!

Garret

I sent an email.

Garret