Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables

Post by nostalgia »

Barry thanks for telling how to remove the winding handle!

I did not know that it is a deluxe version of 112A, so thank you Roger for pointing that out....now I can dig into my storage locker and look for a not too good looking 112A I believe is in there. Then I can switch the lid stay, and add the necessary hinges and even the missing escutcheon. What a relief!

I was a bit shocked when it turned up in an add one week ago, and I immediately made a €60 offer. The seller wanted to see if he would receive better offers, and promised to tell me, if he did. Four days later I contacted him again, and he said if I gave him € 70, he would accept my offer and remove the listing. I accepted, and even had it delivered to my village in his car yesterday. It is the first time I have had a gramophone delivered in my village, because my village is very very small, and the fact that the seller was visiting someone here, well..it felt like destiny.

I will look forward to restore this little gem, and I am of course very happy to read that it will be easy to replace the missing/ destroyed metal parts.

And thank you too Inigo, for nice comments, I really wished the same machine in your region was better priced, so you could grab it, if you wanted.

I know, again...I am extremely lucky to find these jewels, and taking care of them, repairing and preserving them to my best ability and knowledge, is the least I can do in return. And...I don't take anything for granted, I am not used to things coming my way in life, so the more I appreciate and am grateful for my luck in finding these gramophones. I also know I am their keeper for a period in time, nothing lasts forever...

Honestly...I did have to check the forum and my past posts, if I really have a 112a in my storage locker, luckily I discovered that I have one :roll: :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46490&p=279208&hil ... 2a#p279208

NEKTREG
Victor Jr

Post by NEKTREG »

Columbia Mod. 202 L(indstrom)
Only sold in Germany. Instead of s Columbia decal there is a golden plate in the lid. The motor seems to be a Lindström made one- at least the speed regulator is.
Attachments
B6E713FD-53F2-4547-840C-0AE5FE4857FF.jpeg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

nostalgia wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:41 pm PS. Did I mention the machine is really HEAVY :o
As the late Graham Barber has once written: it really stretches the concept of "portability". :D
nostalgia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 amThis thread should have been updated with Italian made Columbia portables in the index,since some forum members some months back kindly uploaded photos of some of these to another Columbia thread.
I think I had already replied in that occasion (but perhaps couldn't find the time to do it, in the end) that it should be firstly clarified if these machines were actually made in Italy and had anything different by any other European corresponding model. If I remember well, the speculation was based only on advertisement sketches on record sleeves. I also have many of those sketches, but I would be unable to clearly tell if these models had anything peculiar without challenging first these models with the experience of other international collectors.

Bobm90
Victor Jr

Post by Bobm90 »

I know this thread has been quiet for some time but I wanted to post a few pictures of my newly purchased Columbia Harmony Portable #2, I have requested info. on this machine elsewhere on this site, where I posted a link to a youtube video, this one has a unique arm and I wanted to send along a picture of it, it is covered in black Fabrikoid(?) These are pictures of it from the eBay ad. I can provide more information if you want it, but only as to size and weight estimate, if you have any information on it I would welcome it.
s-l1605.jpg
s-l1606.jpg
s-l1604.jpg
s-l1603.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
Bob

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Bob, for adding photos of the Columbia Harmony #2 to the thread. And congratulations with the purchase ! I am always happy to see photos, feedback and information added by new members. Unfortunately I am myself not able to add any information to this early US made Columbia portable, since I don't own one myself. It is nice to see photos of it though, so it is much appreciated.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This is the first American portable I have seen with an auxiliary horn, and is well worth restoration.
UK collectors will be familiar with this auxiliary horn, as fitted on the Perophone Pixie Grippa :
Attachments
pixie grippa.jpg
pixie grippa.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 938 times

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding some detailed photos of this Japan made Columbia 203, since this thread has been reopened. The machine is for sale in my area. We can see the typical lid lock, that is not found on UK Columbia portables, but the soundbox is new to my eyes, but maybe someone else recognizes it. This list in some ways maybe should have been merged with the thread showing the Japan made Columbia machines, but it would be an enormous task to organize it, and the thread showing the Japan Columbias does not only show the portables, so maybe it should be better left as it is. I still leave the link here, if someone want to have a look at Japan made Columbias: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44519&hilit=columbia+holy+grail
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I don't recognise the soundbox, but as it appears to be nickel plated, and the rest of the fittings are chromium, I wouldn't think it was original to the gramophone.

Barry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Sorry, that soundbox rings a bell... But I don't remember where I've seen it! Could it be on French pathé portable models?
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The soundbox is not original to the gramophone as Barry rightly pointed out.

It's not a Pathé soundbox. The one referred to is quite different to any soundbox Pathé produced.