Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Oedipus
Victor II

Re: Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables

Post by Oedipus »

In HMG, blue is mentioned for the HMV 88, which is the same machine in all but name. The 88 was for export only, but the 211 was sold in the UK. Post war I think it was only available here in black, but coloured ones may have been made for export.

The 211 is a lot better than some cheap portables, but I wouldn't buy one with the cloth in poor condition. There's nothing you can do about it, so wait for a better one to come along.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I was only thinking about possibly buying it, because this Columbia model is not mentioned in the HMG book in blue color, and now you have confirmed this too, Oedipus. I was again, (like with the HMV model 87, that I came across in green color, and showed in another post here a few months back),thinking that this is another export model. And yes, I was hesitant because it is in not the best condition, and yes Barry...I know you don't like this Columbia/HMV model.;) I can not say that I like this model too, but since I have a feeling that this blue model is possibly not the easiest one to find, and since it is also a part of the HMV/Columbia history, a part of me thinks..why not keep it to save it..from possibly ..oblivion. I will see what I will do, IF I buy it I will need to pay 35 euro for it, including postage.
I upload some photos, so you at least can see it, since I know it very likely is hard to find in blue color, and I am pretty sure many of you also have not seen it in this blue color before.

AND...the condition is maybe not as poor as I first imagined, after first seeing only one photo. I received more photos today. Yes, the soundbox is missing, but that is possible to find, the winding key is there, I have seen it on a photo.
Attachments
Columbia 211, blue (4).jpg
Columbia 211, blue (4).jpg (56.65 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Columbia 211, blue (3).jpg
Columbia 211, blue (3).jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Columbia 211, blue (2).jpg
Columbia 211, blue (2).jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Columbia 211, blue (1).jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It looks like the metal corners have been added, since neither the HMV or Columbia versions had them originally, and they are not fitted very well. Were they put on to hide damaged corners? If you remove them, that means another load of holes to disguise.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Barry, you are once more observant, I did not think about the fact that this particular model don't have metal corners when I received the photos late yesterday evening, and I agree that they seem to be added. Then the question is of course if they were added to protect the corners from the beginning, or later on to protect corners that were about to become destroyed. And as you rightly say, whatever the reason, when the metal corners are removed there will be more holes needed to be disguised, and possibly also more damage revealed. If it was a black version, I would not even consider this gramophone, but knowing it will probably end on the landfill is also not a good feeling...

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have come across another Columbia Grafonola, that is up for sale. We have several threads with Columbia portables, but I decided to post the photos in this thread, since we here (also) have covered the differences between the early UK made Columbias.
I am however not able to nail this model, in some ways it looks like model 112, but the record storage does not match, and also the tonearm is on the right side, instead of the left side, unlike as on model 112.
Attachments
Model 112..or not.jpg
Model 112 ..or.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

This is a model 109, the forerunner of the 109A. Like the 112, the "A" was added to the model number when the plano-reflex arm and No.9 soundbox replaced the straight arms and the No.8 soundbox.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Barry. I guess this 109 actually was the last one of the early UK made Columbia protables, that not earlier had been pictured in this thread, so now the circle is closed. Thanks again.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

What is this? Is it really a Columbia 112, in green crocodile?
I know you have a 112A in green crocodile Roger, that is also extremely rare...but a 112?
I only have this photo.
The machine is not in the best condition, but I still wanted to upload the photo, since as far as I understand it, it must be extremely rare.

PS. It is only me, or is it now impossible to edit old posts? I really wanted to update the index/listing of Columbia portables also on the first page of this thread, but I the edit option is now non existent. I guess I instead have to copy/paste the index/listing into a new post on this last page.
Attachments
Columbia.....jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

To the best of my knowledge only blue, brown and red crocodile colours were catalogued, so yes green is rare.
Another green 112a, only the second example that I have ever seen (the first being mine) sold well on eBay recently.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Just out of interest, I wonder what that strange cut-out immediately above the winding escutcheon is for?

Barry