Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia portables, help needed with UK list

Post by epigramophone »

From photographs it appears that the 9000 inherited the No.28 soundbox (based upon the HMV 5b) from it's predecessor the 206.
I have owned a 206 in the past but not a 9000, so hopefully a 9000 owner can confirm my assumption.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Roger. We are approaching an end to the UK Columbia portable list. When watching and reading it, it is not very strange that one needs to keep one's head on straight when trying to memorize, visualize and acknowledge the different models.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote:From photographs it appears that the 9000 inherited the No.28 soundbox (based upon the HMV 5b) from it's predecessor the 206.
Correct, but worth mentioning that the soundbox on the 206, whilst identical to the NO.5b in all other respects, had a different design of front mask, in the form of a Maltese Cross.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Re: Columbia portables, help needed with US list

Post by nostalgia »

In my ongoing "mad collector" work I am trying to put up a list of UK made Columbia portables (Completed April 5th, 2020), as a first step of also integrating also Columbia US/Japan made portables (only)into the same list. This idea also comes as a result of constantly trying to teach my brain ways to remember the different UK made Columbia portables after reading differenc threads on the forum, and a simple good old fashioned list, may be a good solution, hopefully also for present/future Columbia collectors.
I would like to try to make it a "read only" list this time, no photos, so it can be used as a quick reference for the future. I will also add and delete information over time, as you guys/gals are able to help me correct the list.
Please help me correct the mistakes in the current US list. You can pm me, or write corrections/suggestions as replies to this message, I will then add the updated list both at the start and at the bottom of the thread (since readers often most often visit the end of a long thread), so the newest and most correct list always is appearing to all viewers.
I have after being adviced chosen to incorporate Model name/number, year of launch, country of manufacture, soundbox number, and known available colors to the list.

This is the list as of today, April 5th, 2020. The new US list is added with a blue font color, to separate it from the UK list. I am still working on the big challenge, the Japanese Columbia portable list, and it will also be uploaded soon.

Thank you to epigramophone (Roger), Phono48 (Barry), Oedipus, and Gramophoneshane for advice,corrections and additions to the list, without you this list would not have seen the light of day!

Columbia Portable Gramophones manufactured in The United Kingdom, launch year 1924-1946:

Columbia Grafonola Model 10, 1924 (UK), Soundbox No.7, Color: Black

Columbia Grafonola Model 10A, 1925 (UK), Soundbox No.7, Color: Black

Columbia Model 100, 1929-32 (UK), Soundbox No.15B, Colors: Leathercloth: blue, black, + "Crackle”finish: green, red, blue, brown

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Junior Model 109, 1927 (UK), Soundbox No.8, Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Junior Model 109A, 1929 (UK), Soundbox No.9, Colors: Black

Columbia Grafonola Model 110, 1926 (UK), Soundbox No.8, Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 111A N, 1929 (UK), Soundbox No.9, Colors: Brown leather

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 111A GP, 1929 (UK), Soundbox No.9, Colors: Brown leather

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 112 , 1927 (UK), Soundbox No.8, Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 112A , 1929 (UK), Soundbox no.9, Colors: Black + blue, brown red (all crocodile), (green has been seen)

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 113 , 1928 (UK), Soundbox No.15 (Floating Soundbox), Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 113A , 1929 (UK), Soundbox No.15 (Floating Soundbox), Colors: Blue crocodile

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 201, 1930 (UK), Soundbox No.15A, Colors: Black blue, red

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 202, 1930 (UK), Soundbox No.15A, Colors: Black, blue, red, brown

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 204, 1933 (UK), Soundbox No.15a (Sometimes No. 24 in wartime) Colors: Black, green, blue, red

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 205,1933 (UK), Soundbox No.24, Colors: Black, red

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 206, 1938 (UK), Soundbox No.28, Colors: Black, blue

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 211, 1939 (UK), Soundbox No.24, Colors: Black

Columbia 9000, 1946 (UK), Soundbox No.28, Colors: Black, blue, red, green [/b]

Columbia Portable Gramophones/Phonographs manufactured in The United States, launch year 1922-1929:

Columbia Portable Grafonola,1922 (USA) Colors: Black

Columbia Harmony Portable Junior, 1928 (USA) Colors: Red, black, brown

Columbia Harmony Portable No.2, 1928 (USA) Colors:?

Columbia Portable Model 118, 1929 (USA) Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 120, 1928 (USA) Colors: Dark brown, black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 125, 1929 (USA) Colors: Brown, black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable Model 130, 1928 (USA) Colors: Blue(?), red(?)

New Columbia Portable, Model 140, 1924 (USA) Colors: Black

New Columbia Portable, Model 150, 1926 (USA) Colors:Black

New Columbia Portable, Model 160, 1928 (USA) Colors: Black

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable, Model 161, 1927 (USA) Colors: Gray alligator

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable, Model 162, 1928 (USA) Colors: Black alligator

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable, Model 163, 1929 (USA) Colors: ?

Columbia Viva Tonal Portable, Model 175 (electric motor), 1929 (USA) Colors: Light brown

Please also help me correct the US list, thank you:)
Updated April 10th, 2020
Last edited by nostalgia on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In case no-one has already posted one, here is a picture of the Columbia No.111a-GP in brown leather with gold plated fittings. Sadly not mine.
At 9 Guineas (£9,9 shillings) it competed with the red leather deluxe HMV101 but is much rarer today.
Attachments
111aGP.jpg
111aGP.jpg (217.15 KiB) Viewed 2292 times

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

I just received this Grafonola today, winning it in an auction at the end of last month.

The model number is 175, light case color, blonde wood interior with birdseye maple record cover. Original to it is an A/C induction turntable motor. I'm hoping someone knows a lot more about these than I do. There's a mention of one here in 2010 from member beaumonde, who had pictures acquired from eBay nine years before that. So apparently they aren't very common.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3371&hilit=viva+tonal+175&start=10
Attachments
Click the picture twice for the proper vertical format, enlarged.
Click the picture twice for the proper vertical format, enlarged.
Click twice to enlarge.
Click twice to enlarge.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations with your new Columbia find:) According to the "Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol 2" book, you now have in your possession the first electrically driven Columbia portable phonograph/gramophone, introduced to the market in 1929. With its light brown color and gold plating, it really looks beautiful to the eye:) In its time I believe this was a luxury portable! The reason why I have not included the model in the list in this thread, is simply because it is electically driven, but again...I think you found a real gem here. :clover: ..and why not add it to the list really. I think it deserves its place on the list so I am adding it now.;)
If someome has something to add, please do. I am myself not an experienced Columbia collector, even if I have taken the time and opportunity to create the list of Columbia portables on the forum.
Thank you very much also for posting the photos, great:) I have myself never seen photos of this model anywhere else.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Can anyone help me identify this viva tonal portable?? It measures about 9 x 12-½” x 6” tall. Single spring motor. Something akin to a #24 soundbox. Motor board is separate from the tone arm board. Platter is about 6-¼” in diameter, flocked, not felted.
C82236FE-1EF6-425D-8037-612518771B3B.jpeg
597BB27B-2BF0-4BA0-8448-1B42A95C4CF4.jpeg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Anchorman now has received help with identifying his Columbia G-50 in a few other threads, so I guess this is another task completed.

Gramophile
Victor Jr

Post by Gramophile »

1. The 10 A was also made with the FAT tone-arm (I have one - please let me know if you want a picture.)
2. There was also a model 220 - apparently absent from the catalogues, it may have been for export only. Mine is in blue, and has chromium fittings. It has similarities to the 113, but instead of the "double-S" bend tone-arm, it has the "Plano-Reflex" one. It was possibly a modification by the factory, going by the awkward-looking sound-box-rest (a hole !), and might explain the lack of the model-number-suffix -a , which usually denoted the plano-reflex tone-arm.