Currys - The Cycle People - 1927 Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Currys - The Cycle People - 1927 Gramophones

Post by jamiegramo »

poodling around wrote:
This is really very interesting indeed. Thank you for posting.

You mention "I wonder if many of these machines were unbranded?" - well I have an unbranded gramophone and it looks so similar to the "Nelson" Sideboard Model that I am convinced it must have been an earlier Curry's model like that one. (Why didn't they brand their gramophones though like they did their records I wonder ?).

When I saw the "Westmister" Pedestal. Was the phrase 'there is no veneer here' copyrighted ? If so Curry's may be able to sue 'Oak Furniture Land' :roll:
and that is interesting, I do think that the lack of branding is a possible answer to the rarity of Currys cabinet and table models. So you may have one!

Ironically all the best antique furniture was normally veneered but I guess Oak Furniture Lands quick grown oak is better than MDF.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is a Currys cover from my collection, unusually for an 8 inch record :
Attachments
Image.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

You might be forgiven for thinking that this catalogue was a rare survivor, however there is another on eBay in the US. This is similar but may be slightly older, as the Belvour Bungalow model isn't shown and this model may have been inspired by the HMV 156 (Victor Consolette) from the mid to late 20s.

At a whopping $56 shipping I don't expect Brits will be rushing to repatriate it. Let alone be forced to pay customs duties on a bound and printed item that isn't subject to them but anyway interesting to see another.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Vtg ... Sw0vBUiPZl
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (53.11 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

jamiegramo wrote:
poodling around wrote:
This is really very interesting indeed. Thank you for posting.

You mention "I wonder if many of these machines were unbranded?" - well I have an unbranded gramophone and it looks so similar to the "Nelson" Sideboard Model that I am convinced it must have been an earlier Curry's model like that one. (Why didn't they brand their gramophones though like they did their records I wonder ?).

When I saw the "Westmister" Pedestal. Was the phrase 'there is no veneer here' copyrighted ? If so Curry's may be able to sue 'Oak Furniture Land' :roll:
and that is interesting, I do think that the lack of branding is a possible answer to the rarity of Currys cabinet and table models. So you may have one!

Ironically all the best antique furniture was normally veneered but I guess Oak Furniture Lands quick grown oak is better than MDF.

Here is a photo of mine in comparison - not the same but very similar !

It seems that I might quite possibly have a Curry's then !

Really so pleased that you took the trouble to upload the catalogue as having no idea of the brand was really puzzling.

A very happy ending !
Attachments
currys.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

That is very similar. The Nelson cabinet shown in the ebay Currys catalogue is different from that shown in mine but still the same basic design. I would imagine there were factory variations.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.36 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Also on epigramophones record cover the Nelson cabinet appears different again, with the ribbing on the lid etc.

poodling around
Victor V

jamiegramo wrote:Also on epigramophones record cover the Nelson cabinet appears different again, with the ribbing on the lid etc.
A basic design they stuck with then, making modifications to 'keep it fresh' maybe, so to speak, a bit like cars these days.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Lovely catalogues. Great to find find stuff like this and thanks for uploading :D

To me the "Westminster" from the 1927 one looks like a HMV 162 clone but with an older style lid. Only £5 or so compared to I believe around £25 or so the HMV was. In the other catalogue - the "Curry" at £8 or so looks very similar also. I would say today though they might all be worth much the same amount ;)

I have 1 Curry branded record in my collection. The label is peeling on the other side and its quite clearly stuck over a what looks like a Piccadilly record label
Attachments
currys_412.jpg

Gramtastic
Victor III

My Currys "Portland"

Post by Gramtastic »

Here is my Currys "Portland" table model - not the same as any shown... Must have been many different variations !!
Attachments
IMG_7786.JPG
IMG_7785.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Re: My Currys "Portland"

Gramtastic wrote:Here is my Currys "Portland" table model - not the same as any shown... Must have been many different variations !!
A very nice machine indeed and possibly quite an early one. A great find me thinks ! Very similar wood / treatment to mine I think.

Yours has an identification transfer though - mine doesn't - this makes me sad :cry: