Currys - The Cycle People - 1927 Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: My Currys "Portland"

Post by jamiegramo »

Gramtastic wrote:Here is my Currys "Portland" table model - not the same as any shown... Must have been many different variations !!
Thank you for posting that. This is the only branded Currys machine I have seen. Unfortunately the eBay catalogue doesn't show hornless type machines and I suspect the seller may have omitted some pages. Yes, even comparing the two catalogues they seem to have switched design elements around e.g. the Melba cabinet in the eBay catalogue looks more like the Nelson cabinet shown in my catalogue.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Currys - The Cycle People - 1927 Gramophones

Post by drh »

My first thought: what a shame Currys didn't get together with the Gramophone people--we could have had The Gramophone, Typewriter, and Bicycle Ltd. :lol:

My second thought: :oops:

trickyricky54
Victor Jr

Post by trickyricky54 »

Interesting reading, jamiegramo and contributors.

My Father-In-Law owns a Portland Curry's 'Pedestal' Gramophone (please see images).....and it works a treat.
I would appreciate it if anyone can give me an approximate value of the machine.
Thank you.
20220509_153319g11.jpg
20220509_153153g33.jpg
20220509_153204g22.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

With very few exceptions, cabinet gramophones are difficult to sell. Not everyone has the space to accommodate them, and only those within convenient travelling distance are likely to be prepared to collect them.
Your Portland is uncommon, but rarity does not always equate with monetary value. HMV's are generally more common but tend to achieve the best prices. Even so, I recently struggled to sell a top of the range HMV511 which went to a local buyer for £200.
That said, your Portland might not be worth more than £100. If it was mine I would keep it and enjoy it.

trickyricky54
Victor Jr

Post by trickyricky54 »

You have been a great help, epigramophone. Thank you very much.
The gramophone will be staying in the family.....and we shall continue to enjoy it.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I was about to give very similar advice on your other thread to that of epigramophone. Sadly, in practice gramophones like this can be very hard to sell even at a low price. Great to hear your family is looking to keep it and enjoy it! There's plenty of advice here on the forum about getting the best from them, which often involves no more than lubricating the motor and replacing the rubber gaskets in the soundbox.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

trickyricky54
Victor Jr

Post by trickyricky54 »

Thank you for the advice, Orchorsol.
It is very much appreciated.