Cowey No.3

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Cowey No.3

Post by epigramophone »

I found these reminiscences of a former Cowey employee who worked there from 1921 to 1925. He does not mention gramophones, but the few examples I have seen appear to be of post 1925 design.
He states that Cowey went out of business around 1931.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... cowey-car/

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I wrote about the Cowey Multigram in For the Record No 28 (Winter 2008, page 220). From the illustration there, it can be seen that the chain and sprocket arrangement related to the six-spring motor, which consisted of a standard 2-springer with an extra four springs added below.

The No 1 portable has a 1A motor, wound from the top but through gears rather than chain. Mine is black, (dated 23.12.30) and looks the same as the No. 3 in all other respects, except that the winder and speed control have swapped places, perhaps indicating a different motor.
I am attaching two photos of it to show the winding arrangement (what does that wire loop do? I've no idea) and also a scan of a 1931 Handicrafts catalogue showing the Cowey No 1 and No. 1A motors. The No 1 was still shown in the1932 catalogue, but in 1933, it and all other brands except Garrard had been removed. Both the Cowey motors on general sale had conventional side winding.
Attachments
Cowey moors 1931 handicrafts 899.jpg
Cowey No 1 port motor winding.JPG
Cowey 1A motor.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oedipus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:25 am I wrote about the Cowey Multigram in For the Record No 28 (Winter 2008, page 220). From the illustration there, it can be seen that the chain and sprocket arrangement related to the six-spring motor, which consisted of a standard 2-springer with an extra four springs added below.

The No 1 portable has a 1A motor, wound from the top but through gears rather than chain. Mine is black, (dated 23.12.30) and looks the same as the No. 3 in all other respects, except that the winder and speed control have swapped places, perhaps indicating a different motor.
I am attaching two photos of it to show the winding arrangement (what does that wire loop do? I've no idea) and also a scan of a 1931 Handicrafts catalogue showing the Cowey No 1 and No. 1A motors. The No 1 was still shown in the1932 catalogue, but in 1933, it and all other brands except Garrard had been removed. Both the Cowey motors on general sale had conventional side winding.
Very interesting indeed ! Thanks for such great information.

The 'wire loop' seems to keep the winding handle in a particular position to allow the lid to be closed safely. It is moved away during winding. I have a red No. 1 and that is what it seems to do. (I have seen photographs of the black version and think it is a stunning colour / design !).

Interesting to see the gears and that there is no chain. It is a very smooth system.

Also your assessment of the difference between the 1a and No. 3. (I wonder if there was a No. 2 ?).

Great stuff !

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Interesting; the wire loop on mine is free to revolve with the winder, which is why I couldn't see its purpose.

If I ever saw Oxford 40's No 3, I don't remember it, so I don't know how it differed from others, or what colour it was. Its date (which might refer to the case rather than the whole machine) was a fortnight after mine, so it would have been an interesting comparison!