So, which one should I get?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SF01
Victor Jr

So, which one should I get?

Post by SF01 »

Hello there.
I am a new member seeking a model to purchase.

I need a 4-speed machine. I have learn about Lenco L75 and L78, but recentely I have seen there are Dual made models also with idler drive. Prefferably fully manual.
My goal is to plug it to the amp/receiver and use all speeds. Full frequency response would be nice, not that I was planning on playing any quad albums, but who knows.

Do you have any recommendations?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: So, which one should I get?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

The L75 and L78 are both decent machines although nothing to write home about, the idler wheel being of course their most prominent defect. But do you really need a vintage turntable? There are to-day turntables with an adjustable range that goes from 16 RPM up to well over 78.

The frequency response depends exclusively on the pick-up with which you will equip the turntable.

SF01
Victor Jr

Post by SF01 »

How is an idler a defect?
From hat I have heard they are highly regarded on par with direct drive.

I am not aware of any modern machine, if you can recommend one that is decentely constructed and has 4 selectable speeds as existing choices it might be a viable option for me.

As for the 78s I will need to change the cartridge to a wider stylus to play them, correct?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I shall appear to differ with my good friend Marco and say that the idler design is their greatest asset! - having a very positive drive and a massive platter. But I do agree with Marco in the sense that that the idler wheel can cause problems - its surface, or its bearing, or the surface of the turntable which is runs on, can cause rumble.

Like many people I much prefer the old heavy idler turntables like the Garrards, Thorens TD-124, Garrard 301 & 401 and the various Lencos over all belt drive and direct drive designs - but they have to be seriously overhauled and maintained, and mounted in a suitable plinth, to perform at their best.

Currently as a temporary measure I'm using a Dual idler turntable, and I'm impressed with it. I think either Lenco or Dual would be great, but they have to be in really good order.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?