Impressive Odeon floor model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Impressive Odeon floor model

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's the one.
I had an idea it might have been a Pathé, or a machine with both an internal and external horn, but it was actually both.
It was so long ago I want quite sure.
Thank you.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for all posts and comments:) Marco, there is actually no friction pad on the regulator! I checked today, and it is, non exixtent.
I am not able to understand how the speed control is working when looking at the motor, that is now removed from the gramophone. There is this small knob on the rim of the flange, but I have to assemble the motor to be able to see and understand how this is working. If any of you, know this motor, and understand how it works, of course feel free to comment! I will take a video when assembling the motor, also showing how it is running. I will be very careful when starting to dissasembling this motor, since I for sure do not want to end up with a few "extra" parts when the motor is ready to be re installed.
Night listening and day listening, I had no idea this concept even existed for gramophones. What an amazing design, from 1919 ( and maybe even earlier when looking at the Pathé you post, Roger!) I will also post a video link when testing the horn when the gramophone is fully serviced, it will be interesting to see and listen to this double function, for sure.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Maybe the horn is the first Woofer/Tweeter combination... :? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I finally was able to finish the restoration of this Odeon floor model. I had ordered some products from the USA, and it took almost 2 months to arrive because of the virus situation. I have stripped the top lid, it had severe scratches, and I spent quite some hours to restore it. Luckily I was able to find a varnish that matched the original color, and also adding a Howard's Restor-A-Finish on top ot the varnish, before finally waxing. The rest of the cabinet is only cleaned with a non abrasive cleaner, before adding Restor-A Finish, and wax. I am very happy with the result. Technically, I have changed one broken main spring, and cleaned and oiled all the other parts.

I am also showing in detail the unique manual brake mechanism found on this Odeon, I have not yet seen this mechanisn on another machine. It is easy to see from the photos how the brake is working, and it is also an excellent patent since it does not give an abrupt stop to the motor.

I have also received an explanation to the double horn, from a gramophone enthusiast, who have been seriously collecting/restoring gramophones for decades, and who also have a good knowledge of Odeon gramophones. As we can see one of the horn outlets is of wood, while the other is made of metal, and he says the idea is that the sound this way will have two different charachteristics, and when blended it was supposed to give a wider and better sound. I am not at all into frequency range etc, but at least it is an interesting idea, for sure. What is most important to me, is that I really enjoy the deep and excellent sound of the machine.

I am also uploading some more photos of the cabinet after restoration, as you can see the cabinet has been inspected by my cat, and it passed this strict control, so I think I can say I am happy with the total result. This gramophone will be a keeper no doubt. Unfortunetaly the photos taken in my sitting room are a bit dark, since it is a rainy day outdoors, but the first two photos, taken in my garage room, give a good impression of the color and the glow of the machine.

It smells HIGH quality throughout this machine, both the cabinet (including the veneer), its brass door knobs, and the motor, and the brake mechanism. The only small part that is troublesome after a 100 years, is the speed control plate, it is tarnished and oxidized to a level where I can't think of way to restore it properly without distorting the engravings.

PS. I realize my phone camera really have problems taking proper photos of this cabinet. On the photos it looks like the cabinet has water damage etc on the lower doors, but it has not. It has the same nice finish and glow all over, similar to the glow found on top of the machine.
Attachments
Odeon 1.jpg
Odeon (2).jpg
Manual brake mechanism (1).jpg
Manual brake mechanism (2).jpg
Odeon (1).jpg
Odeon checked by my cat.jpg
Stripped and refinished lid.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Very nicely done, what a peculiar machine! The cat also seems to approve! :D

And how is it, soundwise? Are you playing it quite often?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for the kind comment, Marco. Yes, it is really a peculiar machine, and it was not a difficult decision to restore it, a task that was quite enjoyable really, after getting hold of the correct products to use, in addition to a new main spring. Paying close attention to how the motor was working before disassamblying it, and also understand how the manual brake was working. The governor spring also was somewhat different than what I am used to from other motors, and after removing the set screws where the governor spring moved freely, but still would not be released, so I spent some time ponding on the problem and making some different manouvres with the associated parts to be able to finally release it. As we all know, using force in suche moments, will always prove itself detrimental...

Soundwise, I like it a lot myself, the blending of the sound from the metal and wooden horn seem to create an effect that at least pleases myself a lot, so at this time it has easily become my preferred gramophone in my living room.

The major reason for uploading rather detailed photos of this machine, is that I really feel it deserves it, and also...it feels somewhat important to upload information about machines made in continental Europe, since these machines are not too often covered on the forum. Hopefully it will add some to the history of these brands/machines, and even rekindle an interest in these machines for present and future collectors.

It also feels important to salvage them, this machine was only hours from ending on the landfill. The owner was selling his house ( as told in the first post in this thread), and the machine had been advertised for months without anyone showing any interest. I received it for free, returning this kindness with repairing/adjusting the motorboard of his horn gramophone, so he could continue using this gramophone in his new apartment.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

nostalgia wrote: The major reason for uploading rather detailed photos of this machine, is that I really feel it deserves it, and also...it feels somewhat important to upload information about machines made in continental Europe, since these machines are not too often covered on the forum. Hopefully it will add some to the history of these brands/machines, and even rekindle an interest in these machines for present and future collectors.
I agree in full, and moreover well documented machines tend to have their intrinsic value increased.

I have already read a pair of fellows from the States comment that "American machines are rather boring compared to European units" like this one, which is indeed one of a kind.