Sidewinder
Victor III

Nasty purple color!

Post by Sidewinder »

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Nasty purple color!

Post by jamiegramo »

Yeh. I had to stop watching when the guy started putting paint stripper on the beautiful original finish on the horn. What a bloody amateur. No historic empathy there. I hope people like this don't work for museums but this is just as bad.

The original finish could easily have been revived. I won't watch any more.

And all for the sake of entertainment regardless of the cost!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The rape of the Opera has already been the subject of previous threads,including this one :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39911&p=242377&hili ... op#p242377

Young Will Kirk stripped the horn because that is what the "repairer" asked him to do. As the only member of this forum who has actually taken part in the programme (Series 2 : The Georgian Desk) I can attest to his excellent restoration skills. The fact that the Opera was one The Repair Shop got spectacularly wrong was not his fault. The "repairer" should have known better than to ask him, and should have kept the horn's original finish. All it needed was a sympathetic clean.

I feel sorry for the family of the deceased owner Gilbert Fury. I never met him, but I bought cylinders from him on eBay and found him a nice person to deal with.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Talking about gramophone disasters in films..watch this tragedy, that even was awarded:
"Le Gramophone" was awarded by "The Best Video"prize at the International Film Festival - "Festival dominuto" 2014 (Brazil)."
How is possible to win such a prize, by using this crapophone. The final seconds of the short film and the sounds accompanying sent shivers down my spine.
https://vimeo.com/39092312

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The rusty needle is a nice touch. :roll:

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

As well as the record being by the Ames Brothers. :roll:

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote:The rape of the Opera has already been the subject of previous threads,including this one :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39911&p=242377&hili ... op#p242377

Young Will Kirk stripped the horn because that is what the "repairer" asked him to do. As the only member of this forum who has actually taken part in the programme (Series 2 : The Georgian Desk) I can attest to his excellent restoration skills. The fact that the Opera was one The Repair Shop got spectacularly wrong was not his fault. The "repairer" should have known better than to ask him, and should have kept the horn's original finish. All it needed was a sympathetic clean.

I feel sorry for the family of the deceased owner Gilbert Fury. I never met him, but I bought cylinders from him on eBay and found him a nice person to deal with.
I fear it was more to do with the programme production company and their director. Naturally the inclusion of Tim Weeks as an "expert" was a huge mistake -- I have met Tim a few times and although he has some knowledge of gramophones ( bit like Eric Morecambe though -- plays all the right notes , but not necessarily in the right order ! ) his knowledge of phonographs is not that good. However , from a TV programme maker's point of view , he has the right attributes of character and ability of being able to fool an unknowing general public. I will agree with Roger that Will Kirk has excellent carpentry and cabinetry skills , but I have noticed on a few items he has worked on , his finishing skills are not that great -- at least some of the time.
I have also met Nicola Dean ( Gilbert's daughter ) a few times. Lovely lady , but sadly a little naieve. I saw the Opera at her house a couple of years ago and expressed an interest should she decide to sell it , but she was reluctant to talk price other than " it was worth thousands " . She knew it was better than say an Edison Standard and understandably did not want to mug it away so to speak , but I only wish she had made contact with either myself or other forum members / CLPGS members who could have offered much better advice and guidance. Dulcetto