The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: First time owner come a cropper (HMV 99)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:25 am 
Victor Jr
Thanks again guys,

Here are a few photo's I took.

Attachments:
P1000400.JPG
P1000400.JPG [ 4.45 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]
P1000398.JPG
P1000398.JPG [ 4.33 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]
P1000397.JPG
P1000397.JPG [ 4.86 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]
P1000396.JPG
P1000396.JPG [ 4.72 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]
P1000393.JPG
P1000393.JPG [ 4.81 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]
P1000402.JPG
P1000402.JPG [ 4.52 MiB | Viewed 173 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:09 pm 
Victor V
I thought you stated that the crank initially didn't want to stay stopped after you wound it, but that it finally grabbed and did not spin backwards. However, if it did back-spin, that would explain the distorted condition of the innermost end of the spring. That end, being peeled open as it is, would not allow the winding shaft pin to properly hook the spring. The inner curl of spring needs to be carefully closed up until it grips the shaft snuggly. BUT FIRST, the anti-return spring on your winding shaft needs to be replaced or repaired AND the mainspring should be removed, cleaned, reshaped on the inner end, (as mentioned above), re-installed & greased.

The screw with the large washer under it, near the anti-return spring, should have the nearest end of that spring wrapped around it in order to anchor the spring end. It doesn't appear that this is currently the case. Either the spring end pulled out from under the screw/washer, or that end of the spring broke off. If it broke off, it's sometimes possible to unwind a turn or two the anti-return spring to reattach it to the anchor screw.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:41 pm 
Victor III
Keep winding up
In total, I think this motor looks good, and you now have received from our helpful forum members, the details needed to have it serviced, it should not be a too difficult task for an experienced service professional. The motor reminds much also of the HMV 26589 motor that was inside my HMV model 87.
Good luck and congratulations with your nice HMV 99, and thank you very much for showing the photos of this motor. It also could be nice and interesting to see the complete machine of course, when it is ready and serviced ;) ..and the same minute I write this, I secured my purchase of the same type of machine (HMV 99), and will collect it later in the summer. Now I know what to expect when I receive it :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:58 pm 
Victor III
Not relevant to this post, but nonetheless worth mentioning is that the weak spot on the 99 is the socket that the arm swivels in. It's VERY thin, and made of pot-metal, so is virtually irreparable. Check this is complete before buying a 99, and if you have one already, treat that socket with great care!

Barry

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm 
Victor III
Keep winding up
Very important information Barry, and actually...the HMV 99 I bought a few minutes ago, has this exact problem! The socket is more or less destroyed, but follow the machine. I know I will meet a big challenge, and possibly even never be able to repair it, but I still decided to buy the machine, since they are pretty hard to find, and the price was also good, and a Goldring Luxus soundbox was also attached to it, which value alone covers almost what I paid for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:28 pm 
Victor Jr
nostalgia wrote:
In total, I think this motor looks good, and you now have received from our helpful forum members, the details needed to have it serviced, it should not be a too difficult task for an experienced service professional. The motor reminds much also of the HMV 26589 motor that was inside my HMV model 87.
Good luck and congratulations with your nice HMV 99, and thank you very much for showing the photos of this motor. It also could be nice and interesting to see the complete machine of course, when it is ready and serviced ;) ..and the same minute I write this, I secured my purchase of the same type of machine (HMV 99), and will collect it later in the summer. Now I know what to expect when I receive it :ugeek:

There's actually a video the previous owner posted... Mine is the first machine played, on the right.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:38 pm 
Victor Jr
JerryVan wrote:
I thought you stated that the crank initially didn't want to stay stopped after you wound it, but that it finally grabbed and did not spin backwards. However, if it did back-spin, that would explain the distorted condition of the innermost end of the spring. That end, being peeled open as it is, would not allow the winding shaft pin to properly hook the spring. The inner curl of spring needs to be carefully closed up until it grips the shaft snuggly. BUT FIRST, the anti-return spring on your winding shaft needs to be replaced or repaired AND the mainspring should be removed, cleaned, reshaped on the inner end, (as mentioned above), re-installed & greased.

It did jump back a bit alright now that you mention it, but it did seem to find what I thought was a comfortable spot a few seconds before the great unwinding.During that noise , it didn't move.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:26 pm 
Victor V
DancingPriest wrote:
JerryVan wrote:

It did jump back a bit alright now that you mention it, but it did seem to find what I thought was a comfortable spot a few seconds before the great unwinding.During that noise , it didn't move.

Well, no matter what happened, the spring needs to be removed, either to be cleaned & fixed, or to be replaced.