GRAMOPHONE & TYPEWRITER SENIOR MONARCH

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Enrico
Victor I

GRAMOPHONE & TYPEWRITER SENIOR MONARCH

Post by Enrico »

Hi everyone,
I am restoring a senior monarch that I have in my collection. I have a problem with the turntable. It seems to be the right one, it fits perfectly in the pin, but once inserted it hits the surface of the case (or better, the four supports on the surface of the case) Either the turntable is incorrect, or the pin is too low?
Thank you for your attention.
Best wishes,
Enrico
Attachments
IMG_20200611_162109.jpg
IMG_20200611_162118.jpg
IMG_20200611_162135.jpg
The turntable while fitting into the pin (initial phase)
The turntable while fitting into the pin (initial phase)
IMG_20200611_162316.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Re: GRAMOPHONE & TYPEWRITER SENIOR MONARCH

Post by soundgen »

What on Earth is this !
Attachments
awrong.jpg
awrong.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

soundgen wrote:What on Earth is this !
;)

https://www.ebay.it/itm/153796664146?ul_noapp=true

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Is it possible that someone has added extra steel or rubber washers between the motor and the underside of the wooden motor board? Check the fixing bolts for this and make sure they haven't come loose. Rubber washers will help insulate against sound from the motor but if they are too thick they will cause the motor to sit too low down as will loose fixing bolts.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote:What on Earth is this !

It's a thrust bearing. It supports the weight of the turntable. I've never seen one on anything other than a Victor VI... until now. The turntable rides on the balls that are held in place by the "spider".

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

jamiegramo wrote:Is it possible that someone has added extra steel or rubber washers between the motor and the underside of the wooden motor board? Check the fixing bolts for this and make sure they haven't come loose. Rubber washers will help insulate against sound from the motor but if they are too thick they will cause the motor to sit too low down as will loose fixing bolts.
It's right what you say Jamie, it could be like this. I don't have a car in front of my eyes now, but it seems to me that there were rubber washers. I will check next week and then let you know.
Thanks so much!

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

I’m not an expert on this machine but mine looks different and as far as I know is original.
Jeff
Attachments
DSCN9416.JPG
DSCN9415.JPG
DSCN9421.JPG

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Jeff,

It's interesting your motor is mounted much higher up than Enrico's. This would prevent the scraping issue that Enrico has encountered. The third example on the above eBay link also shows the motor sitting further down. Enrico might get an idea of the correct height by how well the turntable rim lines up with the brake pad. Otherwise all the motors look very similar.

It seems G&T must have imported at least a few of these motors with the 'thrust bearing' spider. I've heard of this ball-bearing support but never actually seen it until this thread.

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

phonodesbois wrote:I’m not an expert on this machine but mine looks different and as far as I know is original.
Jeff
Dear Jeff,
Thank you very much for the pictures. It seems that your turntable is the right one.
Could you send me a side photo of the bottom of your turntable? As I did in my first post.
Many thanks,
Enrico

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi Enrico,
If you need different pics, just let me know. (fyi: the turntable is quite heavy around 2.2kg).
Attachments
DSCN9440.JPG
DSCN9443.JPG