Soundboxes/reproducers to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Soundboxes/reproducers to identify and discuss

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Definitely not "obscure", this is the standard soundbox that should go on Decca Salon 130 portables and similar models. I remember the late Graham Barber (whose terrific website seems unfortunately definitively gone, despite his family's early intention to keep it alive, so I can't check there any longer) once told me that these were made by Paillard. While not exactly exciting in appearance, their sound is truly excellent when coupled to an impedance-matched orthophonic horn.

To the best of my knowledge, they weren't factory-fitted to Columbia Viva Tonals, and I wonder how it comes that yours have one fitted to it, but perhaps there's something that I ignore about late units produced etc.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Marco.
I don't think it ever was fitted to the Columbia 112A, it was taped to the tone arm to fit.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Ah, OK... That makes sense.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Decca's pre-war soundboxes, and some of their earlier motors, were indeed made by Paillard.
After WW2 Decca acquired the rights to the Meltrope III soundbox, which with a Decca front mask was used on many of their later portables.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The regent looks very similar to the big Juwell Electro, an enhanced German version of the hmv no4, with a larger diaphragm. The back plate and connector also look the same. It could be a client of that brand. They were fitted to many gramophones in Europe...
Inigo

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

nostalgia wrote:Adding another soundbox. A well chosen name, and much to live up to! I know nothing about what machine/brand it in the past was attached to.

Update on the Mozart soundbox: I have now seen the same soundbox attached to an original
Triumphon horn gramophone, and there is possibly a reason to believe that this soundbox was made for Triumphon...
And here a catalog picture, also slight variation :-)
Attachments
rep-mozart.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for adding the catalog photo, Sidewinder. Another good reference.
I am adding another soundbox, a Triumphon soundbox. I found it yesterday inside a Victrola VV-Viii, along with the more expected Victor Exhibition soundbox. This is the first soundbox that I have myself found with the Triumphon logo inside the soundbox. On the up to now four Triumphon gramophones that have come my way, the logo has not been present on the soundboxes.
Attachments
Triumphon soundbox 2.jpg
Triumphon soundbox.jpg

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Just wondered if anybody knew what/where these 2 soundboxes were from. I bought the right one separately - but the left one came in a job lot. The right one was advertised as being German from 1918, and there does appear to be a '1918' stamp in the box - but it could mean anything and I can't see anything on it or the box to indicate where it might have been made or by who. The left one has some lettering around the sides - but its not complete enough for me to read.

There are some very minor differences between the soundboxes - but they are very close to being identical. In construction they appear to be all machined parts with no castings.

Any ideas?

Unboxing video of first one:
https://youtu.be/fQ6kwo-iCoU

Unboxing video of job lot of soundboxes:
https://youtu.be/DIDnea5CJSs
Attachments
front.jpg
back.jpg
lettering.jpg
lettering2.jpg
box.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am sorry "mrrgstuff" that no one yet has been able to identify your soundboxes, but thanks anyway for uploading the photos !

I am myself now uploading photos of a soundbox that is attached to a Decca 120 that is up for sale. Since the soundbox ( to me) looks generic with no brand name on it, I guess this is not the soundbox that was attached to this machine originally, or?
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote:I am myself now uploading photos of a soundbox that is attached to a Decca 120 that is up for sale. Since the soundbox ( to me) looks generic with no brand name on it, I guess this is not the soundbox that was attached to this machine originally, or?
Correct! The Decca 120 was fitted with the Paillard soundbox you pictured on your thread dated 12th October.