Luxophon horn gramophone, repainted horn?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Luxophon horn gramophone, repainted horn?

Post by nostalgia »

Would you say the horn and tonearm/elbow have been repainted on this Luxophon? I still find it difficult to decide, BUT if I should guess, I would say it is repainted (because of the vivid colors)...By the way, Luxophon, is that a Parlophone related brand? All this said, I think it looks quite stunning, and even match the painting on the wall!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Luxophon horn gramophone, repainted horn?

Post by Orchorsol »

I would say yes definitely - also the edge of the turntable and the medallion on the side of the case. Poor thing, what a mess!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

it looks horrific......

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Badly restored. The tonearm, elbow and brake would not have been painted silver when new, nor would the horn have been different colours inside and out.

"Made Abroad" on the soundbox is a euphemism for "Made in Germany". During and shortly after WW1, German goods were unsaleable in the UK unless their origins were concealed.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I always had a weakness for colors, in this matter, I understand it can only be explained as, bad taste;)

PS. Promise to stop me if I ever start painting my HMV/Columbia/Odeon cabinets red ! :roll:
I guess I should also stop all plans about repainting the horns on some of my horn gramophones :lol:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I think it is fair to say that most collectors regard repainting horns as a last resort, and if there is no alternative they try to repaint in the original colour.

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

nostalgia wrote:I always had a weakness for colors, in this matter, I understand it can only be explained as, bad taste;)

PS. Promise to stop me if I ever start painting my HMV/Columbia/Odeon cabinets red ! :roll:
I guess I should also stop all plans about repainting the horns on some of my horn gramophones :lol:
I actually like it. If it were me, I'd strip the paint on the arm, elbow, turntable, etc. and replate it. I'd keep the horn.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

gramophone-georg wrote:
nostalgia wrote:I always had a weakness for colors, in this matter, I understand it can only be explained as, bad taste;)

I actually like it. If it were me, I'd strip the paint on the arm, elbow, turntable, etc. and replate it. I'd keep the horn.
Actually that is exactly what I also would have done, but don't tell our fellow forum members... :lol:

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

nostalgia wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:

Actually that is exactly what I also would have done, but don't tell our fellow forum members... :lol:
OK- your secret is safe with me! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

€ 120
:squirrel: :geek: