HMV ID, please

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

HMV ID, please

Post by CharliePhono »

Greetings to all. Would someone kindly inform me which model of HMV gramophone this is? I'm not that up on the various models. This one is for sale north of me, and if it's a model with the re-entrant horn, I would be very interested in purchasing it. Thanks in advance for the assistance. Kind regards, CharlieP.
Attachments
103654128_4296534713691856_7560750566909402566_o.jpg
104725009_4296534900358504_7032364883344121341_o.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: HMV ID, please

Post by Dulcetto »

Its a model 157. HMV never advertised this as a re-entrant , as the horn divides only into two chambers , not 4 as in the larger models 163, 192 , 202 , 203 . But the 157 still sounds good -- Its my choice of an everyday Gramophone. Also fitted with the HMV no 32 motor which gives good power, although normally after 90 years , always best to re-grease the mainsprings and service the motor at the very least , as any really old grease is unlikely to have survived without hardening over time. Regards Dulcetto

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Dulcetto wrote:Its a model 157. HMV never advertised this as a re-entrant , as the horn divides only into two chambers , not 4 as in the larger models 163, 192 , 202 , 203 . But the 157 still sounds good -- Its my choice of an everyday Gramophone. Also fitted with the HMV no 32 motor which gives good power, although normally after 90 years , always best to re-grease the mainsprings and service the motor at the very least , as any really old grease is unlikely to have survived without hardening over time. Regards Dulcetto
Thank you kindly!

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

As our friend, Bugs Bunny, said, "If I dood it, I get a whippin'!" Well, I "dood" it. I bought the HMV 157. I won't be able to fetch it for a while, owing to an upcoming surgery, but am excited at finally owning an HMV floor model gramophone, even if it is one of the "lesser" machines. I look forward to not only getting it operating optimally, but also to utilising my newly-acquired fantastic BCN needles with it (thank you, Orchosol)! (Shameless plug.)

Thanks again for the help ID'ing it.

CharlieP

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Great news Charlie, that's a great machine and a pretty example! (And thanks for the plug!)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

CharliePhono wrote:…..even if it is one of the "lesser" machines......
I think you will find that the 157 is a wonderful machine. Whilst not actually re-entrant, in my experience (and in good order), they can rival their larger re-entrant cousins and are a great joy to listen to. Future happiness, I am sure, is well assured ! Well done.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

emgcr wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:…..even if it is one of the "lesser" machines......
I think you will find that the 157 is a wonderful machine. Whilst not actually re-entrant, in my experience (and in good order), they can rival their larger re-entrant cousins and are a great joy to listen to. Future happiness, I am sure, is well assured ! Well done.
Thank you! I am very much looking forward to bringing it home.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Better late than never, I suppose. I've been meaning to renew the thread on my 157 since last posting about in June 2020. It pains me to say this, but I have been disappointed in the sonic performance of this machine. I never expected it to rival the larger HMV machines, but having watched various YouTube videos featuring this model, I am compelled to pose a question to the group in the hopes of improving its performance.

First off, I was absolutely unable to open the 5A soundbox which came with it. I feared ruining it in the process. However, I was able to dig out the ossified isolator and fabricate a new one in silicone. The box seems very good with no rattle or distortion, and I kept my fingers crossed that if I could not replace the gaskets at least it was sound and airtight. Of course, the machine received the usual care we all give to "new" machines in our phono-flocks, i.e., motor/spring cleaning and servicing, etc.

Here's the rub: The sound from the machine is, for lack of a better term, muffled or at least lacking in volume and clarity unless I use a loud-tone needle (which I do not like to do). Perhaps "muffled" isn't the correct term, but I feel the sound is subdued compared to those I've heard on YouTube. All critical points in the tone arm and mounting were disassembled, cleaned, and regreased and/or repacked with grease. Following the disappointing trials, I of course thought the soundbox might be the problem and substituted a known, very well rebuilt Orthophonic soundbox from Wyatt Markus. The result was absolutely identical. As I say, the sound is not bad or distorted, it just sounds muted to my ears, and my thought is it should be much louder with the half-tone needles I use.

Are the metal horns on these prone to leaks? That is the last and only place I have not looked in an attempt to make the machine more airtight. I have somewhat comparable machines in the form of both a Brunswick Seville and a Victor Consolette, and either machine will blow the doors off of the HMV. Even my model 17 table Grand Grafonola with the "Stereoscopic" bifurcated metal horn sounds far better. Any suggestions on how I might improve reproduction or as to what I may be missing? Perhaps the 157 is simply performing at its peak, but I find that hard to believe. Again, ones I've listened to on YouTube do seem to be louder. Then again, perhaps the presenters are using loud/extra loud tone needles; they rarely say.

Thanks in advance. I'd like to bring the machine back to its listening place in the living room, but for now it is functioning as a lamp stand in a corner of the room. :cry:

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

There's definitely something wrong there! I recently acquired a 157, and have to say it's easily the best machine I've had in years. I initially got it intending to fix the veneer which was lifting, then pass it on, not having the room to accommodate a cabinet machine, but having had it for a couple of months now, nothing would make me part with it. I can only think the problem with yours lies within the horn. Has someone in the past taken the front grille off and stuffed something in the horn to soften the volume, maybe? Or something in the arm? Just a thought....

Barry

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Please don't give up ! There is something wrong somewhere because the 157 is usually a superb instrument with excellent clarity, definition and indeed considerable presence with good lungs ! I would try more soundboxes in the first instance. Could there be a leak between the tonearm and the horn ? Is the horn completely void ? Best of luck but please do persevere.