HMV ID, please

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: HMV ID, please

Post by CharliePhono »

Thanks to you both for the replies. I agree there's definitely something amiss! Today is a gray winter day and a perfect one to pull the machine out of the corner and take a look at that horn. Yes, the system is sealed from the soundbox to its connection with the horn. The horn is the last piece of the puzzle I've not examined and likely should have looked there before posting, but it seemed odd that someone would have dismantled it in the past. Perhaps there's a rodent mummy in there, but the machine was sparkling clean when I got it, so doubtful.

I will inspect the horn and let you know what I find. Thank you all again.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

CharliePhono wrote:Thanks to you both for the replies. I agree there's definitely something amiss! Today is a gray winter day and a perfect one to pull the machine out of the corner and take a look at that horn. Yes, the system is sealed from the soundbox to its connection with the horn. The horn is the last piece of the puzzle I've not examined and likely should have looked there before posting, but it seemed odd that someone would have dismantled it in the past. Perhaps there's a rodent mummy in there, but the machine was sparkling clean when I got it, so doubtful.

I will inspect the horn and let you know what I find. Thank you all again.
On more than one occasion I have found these an similar machines packed with cotton wool in the tone arm to reduce volume ! :)

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Well (wiping egg from face), I should have checked the horn. To Soundgen, I disassembled the entire tonearm and fished a wire through it to ensure nothing untoward was lodged there.

Then I removed the grille and this is what I saw. Problem solved! I will say whoever installed the carpet lining did an extremely good job.
Attachments
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG (96.69 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Last edited by CharliePhono on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CharliePhono wrote:Well (wiping egg from face), I should have checked the horn. To Soundgen, I disassembled the entire tonearm and fished a wire through it to ensure nothing untoward was lodged there.

Then I removed the grille and this is what I see. Problem solved! I will say whoever installed the carpet lining did an extremely good job.
:shock:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophone-georg wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Well (wiping egg from face), I should have checked the horn. To Soundgen, I disassembled the entire tonearm and fished a wire through it to ensure nothing untoward was lodged there.

Then I removed the grille and this is what I see. Problem solved! I will say whoever installed the carpet lining did an extremely good job.
:shock:
Ditto! :shock:

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

. . . guess they'd never heard of soft or extra soft tone needles . . . :lol:

P.S. *Now* very happy with the reproduction. Sounds as it should!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Gives a whole new meaning to cutting a rug!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

CharliePhono wrote:. . . guess they'd never heard of soft or extra soft tone needles . . . :lol:

P.S. *Now* very happy with the reproduction. Sounds as it should!
Bet it's awesome! :D

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Great result! Glad you got it sorted.

Barry

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

My goodness!!! :shock: You see something new every day! :D

Well I can almost feel your relief when you removed the grille and saw that the "muffled tone" issue had such an easy-to-spot cause!

Now in turn we're looking forward to see some new clips of your 157 singing out loud with its renewed throat... ;)