Portables to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Portables to identify and discuss

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another portable to this thread. There is no need to identify it as we can see from the photos, but maybe someone want to discuss it, or watch/keep the photos as a reference.
There is another thread with some quite detailed information about Edison Bell portables on the forum, but that machine has a double spring motor, while my machine has a single spring motor: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49754&hilit=edison+bell+portable

As we can see one of the previous owner also had other interests than music, when looking at the lid cover ;) I don't know how the top lid will look after removing these labels...
I found a small ball bearing inside the horn, and it must belong in the tone arm, since the tonearm is somewhat loosely fastened to the base. There is a small screw that opens the tonearm/base assembly, I know what awaits me there...a number of small metal balls. Still, I would like to try to get the small ball bearing back in position, if possible.

I picked it up for € 10 last evening in Oslo. I was visiting Oslo to see a gramophone friend, and saving this machine was an easy decision, even if my house and rented storage lockers..are full already. It is the first Edison Bell portable I have seen here, and the soundbox alone was worth the buy for me, really.

I am adding many photos, for reference. If someone need/want better close up photos of the motor, just tell me, and I will upload more after disassembling the motor. It actually runs, and as we can see it is a front wind motor.

The model number seems to be EB 321, looking at the decal at the bottom of the lid. At first I thought the lid stay was missing, but after looking more closely and checking the lid, we can actually see there are not supposed to be an internal lid stay, the external hinges at the bottom of the lid also works as springs and are holding the lid when it is all open.
We can also see wood carved out at the rim surrounding the horn, it is necessary to allow the turntable to spin freely!
Attachments
februar 2022 038.jpg
februar 2022 037.jpg
februar 2022 036.jpg
februar 2022 035.jpg
februar 2022 034.jpg
februar 2022 033.jpg
februar 2022 032.jpg
februar 2022 031.jpg
februar 2022 030.jpg
februar 2022 029.jpg
februar 2022 028.jpg
februar 2022 027.jpg
februar 2022 026.jpg
februar 2022 025.jpg
februar 2022 024.jpg
februar 2022 023.jpg
februar 2022 022.jpg
februar 2022 021.jpg
februar 2022 020.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is a 1929 advertisement featuring the EB321. It looked quite modern compared to the other machines pictured.
Apart from HMV, Edison Bell was the only major British manufacturer to make their own motors.

The labels on the lid are old and should be easy to remove by sponging with water, for just long enough to soften the gum.
Be grateful that they are not self adhesive. That would be a longer and more difficult job.
Attachments
Image.jpg

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I'd like to find the correct tonearm and arm support for my Edison P-1 portable.edisonplayer.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:44 am
The labels on the lid are old and should be easy to remove by sponging with water, for just long enough to soften the gum.
Be grateful that they are not self adhesive. That would be a longer and more difficult job.
Actually I like the labels. You can have fun by drinking while listening to the music and as the bottles deplete, replace the old labels with colorful brand new ones. I keep a gramophone that belonged to my aunt, that she covered with labels, not of liquor but of hotels she stayed - this was from the times when hotels issued these labels to be glued to travelers bags.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I have used replica pre-war luggage labels successfully to disguise damaged case covering on a portable.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nostalgia, this machine seems to have a good soundbox and exponential horn... I bet it sounds as good as a 101 or 102.... Looks very interesting.
What if you try to restore the labels and preserve them? It would look nice if you removed them and clean the Rexine etc... but it's a pity to destroy that interesting story of the machine! What a dilemma!
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm
epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:44 am
Actually I like the labels. You can have fun by drinking while listening to the music and as the bottles deplete, replace the old labels with colorful brand new ones. I keep a gramophone that belonged to my aunt, that she covered with labels, not of liquor but of hotels she stayed - this was from the times when hotels issued these labels to be glued to travelers bags.
This was my thought entirely. The labels are part of its history. Without them it's just the same as another example. I'd definitely keep them. Granted, labels showing the travel of the Gramophone would be more interesting but.........

Everybody's different.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I actually had the same feeling when collecting the gramophone, to keep the labels, but then started to doubt my initial feeling, thinking about cleaning up the machine to make it shine etc.
The labels seem to be from the 1960s as far as I can see, I recognize this particular "Selters" label from that period.
I am still hesitant...also because I am a lousy drinker myself.;)
Thanks for uploading the ad, Roger, interesting to also be able to date the machine. And yes Inigo, the horn looks good.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

"Apart from HMV, Edison Bell was the only major British manufacturer to make their own motors."

Roger, Cowey, who made gramophone motors (also speedometers for motor bikes) also made a complete portable gramophone.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Oedipus wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:54 am "Apart from HMV, Edison Bell was the only major British manufacturer to make their own motors."

Roger, Cowey, who made gramophone motors (also speedometers for motor bikes) also made a complete portable gramophone.
True, but I was referring to major British gramophone manufacturers.