Portables to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Portables to identify and discuss

Post by Phono48 »

The "Fitzroy" soundbox is a re- badged Goldring, as are many others. Presumably, the manufacturers would put whatever name the customer wanted on the front mask.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Barry, for adding that info on the soundboxes.

Some days ago I uploaded photos of an Odeon portable, equivalent to the HMV 97/Columbia 201, made at Hayes for sale in the (presumably) European market since Odeon there was a already well known name.
When uploading the photos of that machine, that I bought two days ago, and now await in the post ( I could not resist it at 35 euro inclding shipping, even if the autobrake was off, and it also was missing the winding key and tonearm support), I immediately asked myself if HMV 87 and 88 ( Columbia 205/211), also possibly had its equivalents in Odeon badged portables, still made at Hayes. I had at that time never seen any such machines, so when today this machine was put up for sale in my area, my question was immediately answered.

Yes, the HMV 88/ Columbia 211, obviously had an Odeon equivalent, as we here can see on the photo. I find that interesting to know, that so many years after the merge/purchase of Odeon/ Columbia/HMV, there still were manufactured Odeon machines at Hayes, following the model line of the HMV/Columbia portables. After seeing this machine, I will not be surprised if an Odeon version of the HMV 87/Columbia 205 will show up in the not too distant future close to me, or at least that it exists out there. Maybe some of you already have seen these models, and already know they exist, but I could not find them on the forum, so I wanted to share the photos as a reference.

If anyone has any more information about the numbers of machines made at Hayes with Odeon brand, or any more information to add (or want to give corrections to my assumptions), then of course please comment.

Update: Of course I could not resist it, even if I know it is what is referred to a bargain-basement portable from HMV. For the sake of taking care of it, I bought it, and will collect it tomorrow, knowing it is not a machine that we see every day. Then I will also soon need to find out how to remove those ugly marks..if possible.
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I collected this portable today. It has hardly even been used, apart from the fact that a child ( I presume) has at some stage got access to the machine and used a permanent marker inside the lid :cry: Without thinking I (again) tried to remove the marks, but it became worse, so now I will need to find some kind of paint to use inside the lid to repaint the complete inner lid area with a color similar to the color originally used. I remember earlier being suggested to use Humbrol enamel paint on HMV portables, do you think this is the right paint to use inside this lid, that is of paper? I am already extremely angry at myself for trying to use Swarfega on the marks, I should have learned this...NEVER use Swarfega inside the lid on these portables. I ruined the inner lid of a blue HMV 97 some weeks back the same way.
There was one record following the machine, and it looked like new. Maybe the child marking the inner lid caused the machine to be permanently stored away, who knows. And here comes another "big child" again messing up on this inner lid ! :oops:

I attach two photos, (not of the inner lid!), but of the serial number, which is interesting !! This model is named 211A by HMV. so they have used the Columbia serials for this machine, which I find interesting ! I know of course this is an identical machine to the Columbia 211 and the HMV 88, but I was excited to see what serrials they have used inside the machine when opening it.

I am not sure if the serial says B16 or B18, but I guess this means the machine was manufactured in 1953 or 1955.

And I must ask, of course, have any of you seen this model before?
Attachments
Model and serial number.jpg
Model and serial number.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
mars 2021 010.jpg
mars 2021 009.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Too late now, but a solvent such as methylated spirit applied with a cotton bud might have worked.
Humbrol is an oil based paint which I have used successfully on leathercloth, but I have never tried it on paper.
It should be safer than a water based paint, but several thin coats will be safer than one thick coat. Good luck!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another portable. I have no intention of buying it, but it could be interesting to try to identify it. The turntable looks very Garrard to me, but I am may very well be wrong. Apart from that I am blank,,,
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The turntable and it's distinctive retaining clip suggest a Steidinger motor, as on my Caruso portable.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Reverting to the Odeon, B16 would be 1952 and B18 would be 1954. The serial number was indeed allocated to a Columbia 211A in 1954. As to why the Odeon was labelled a Columbia, I don't know; the only Odeon models shown in the serial number lists for that period are Model 9102, which is probably an Odeon-badged HMV 102. I have seen a parts list for the 211-based Odeon, but cannot lay my hands on it; if only I could, it would probably give an Odeon model number!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Oedipus, thank you for correcting the manufacture date on the Odeon gramophones and adding general information.

Actually, the Odeon Model 9102, turned out to be the HMV 97/ Columbia 204 badged with the Odeon logo. The soundbox is marked Odeon 46 soundbox (rebadged Columbia 15A/ HMV 21)

I am uploading photos of the serial number of my brown Odeon 9102. More photos of my two Odeon 9102 machines can be found on these links:

Recent post with photos of my black Odeon 9102 with a Odeon 46 soundbox :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45884&start=10

Post from 2019, my Blue Odeon 9102 with an Odeon 46 soundbox ( serial number shown):
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46077&hilit=GERMAN+PORTABLES
Attachments
Odeon 9102 serial.jpg

Patrik_P
Victor Jr

Post by Patrik_P »

Here is one I found for sale, a Swedish made Sonata. There are no forum posts about any portable Sonata gramophone so I thought I would add it here.
The seller doesn't specify what model it is.
I wasn't planning on starting a collection but I might buy it if the price doesn't run away. It looks like in a lot better shape then my Odeon.
Attachments
412509365_aa03f661-c8f2-4522-9ecd-ce0475094131.jpg
412509365_d1d10fc5-b63a-40b7-8cde-20175ae4d25d.jpg
412509365_7c35f825-9bba-4f5c-b4b4-dbb9385b7419.jpg
412509365_11dae62e-4ecc-4b6c-aadb-c401039c63e2.jpg
412509365_ab087a39-e9e6-404b-8b60-74d05d9c86bb.jpg

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Thank you Nostalgia, yes, the 9102 is clearly a 97-based Odeon, and I am wondering now if the parts list I remember seeing was for this model! All I can remember is that it was not 102-based. Both these models were obviously made at Hayes, unlike some of the other post-EMI merger Odeons, and I wonder where they were sold -- probably in Germany? Still odd that the 211 remained officially Columbia even with an Odeon badge, but the 9102 was an Odeon!