Unusual Hermann " Crayophon " Sound-box

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dulcetto
Victor II

Unusual Hermann " Crayophon " Sound-box

Post by Dulcetto »

Can anyone please shed any light on this most unusual design sound - box ? Obviously intended for a travelling - arm machine as there is a locking - pin protruding from the back plate as well as the long size outlet tube. Behind the mica diaphragm , engraved into the back plate is the wording G. Hermann S Crayophon D.R.P. & Ausl Pat. The letter S after the name Hermann could refer to Sohn or Sohne ? ( son or sons )
and presumably the patent refers to the design by which the needle is held in place. Beautifully engineered , there are two small operating levers as seen , the right hand one opens or closes a third " arm " to grip a needle , I am not sure what the left hand lever is intended to do as it is somewhat stiff and I don't to use force which may result in damage . The general construction seems to be of nickel - plated brass. Most unusual , I can't recall having seen anything like it before and wondered if any of our European friends may know a little more . Regards Dulcetto
Attachments
herman 001.JPG
herman 006.JPG
herman 007.JPG
herman 003.JPG
Last edited by Dulcetto on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Unusual Hermann " Cravophon " Sound-box

Post by epigramophone »

I think this soundbox may be Australian rather than Austrian, as an internet search for "Cravophon" found a couple of references to the Melbourne Argus of 2nd November 1910.
Unfortunately I was unable to decipher the old newspaper images, but there are gramophone societies in Australia who may be able to help identify the soundbox.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Two questions, detailed on the image...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 2.17.51 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Detrbear
Victor O

Post by Detrbear »

Looks like "Crayophon" to me.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I believe D.R.P. stands for Deutsches Reichs Patent (German Reich Patent) and the words after it are actually Ausl. Pat. for Ausland Patent (Foreign Patent). Hope that helps.

Andreas

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Detrbear wrote:Looks like "Crayophon" to me.

Thanks for spotting my typo ! Yes , I meant to type " Crayophon " . Thanks for alerting me -- I have corrected the spelling in mu original post. Regards Dulcetto

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

alang wrote:I believe D.R.P. stands for Deutsches Reichs Patent (German Reich Patent) and the words after it are actually Ausl. Pat. for Ausland Patent (Foreign Patent). Hope that helps.

Andreas
Thanks Andreas, I was already aware that the abbreviations referred to a German patent and I guessed I assumed that others would also know what it means , but thanks for pointing that out , for the benefit of some forum members who may not be familiar with the terms. Basically translated to English it would mean " German and foreign patents " Regards Dulcetto

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Curt A wrote:Two questions, detailed on the image...
Thanks for your message Curt -- If you read through my original post , you will see that I have already answered your questions. The small arm ( which I have referred to as an ' operating lever ' ) opens and closes the grip on a needle , the other smaller arm is somewhat stiff and not knowing quite which direction I should push or pull it , I thought best left well alone until I can understand what it is intended to do or operate , lest I cause any damage !! . Regards Dulcetto
Last edited by Dulcetto on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote:I think this soundbox may be Australian rather than Austrian, as an internet search for "Cravophon" found a couple of references to the Melbourne Argus of 2nd November 1910.
Unfortunately I was unable to decipher the old newspaper images, but there are gramophone societies in Australia who may be able to help identify the soundbox.
Thanks Roger for your thoughts. Certainly the design could well have been patented in Australia , as well as other countries , but certainly the sound - box is of Germanic origins -- hence the legend DRP & Ausl. Pat. As Andreas has pointed out , " Ausl. " is an abbrevation of the German word " Ausland " which translates to " foreign countries " , so neither Australia nor Austria ! With hindsight , perhaps I should have pointed out in my original post the meaning of the abbreviations -- but as I read and speak German, I kinda didn't think to ! I also omitted to mention that the overall size is similar to that of an " Exhibition " sound - box. Regards Dulcetto