How to (know how) to refill oil on Garrard 1924 motor?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Hertog
Victor Jr

How to (know how) to refill oil on Garrard 1924 motor?

Post by Hertog »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum! Google lead me this way when I was trying to find more information about my gramophone player, a Garrard Super Gramophone from 1924. I call her Mary.

My ex had done a bit of research when we got the player secondhand, but never got further than that the motor was fully encased and filled with oil.

After quite a few moves (and the arm needing repairs because of it :( ) my lady is back in my home and I hope ready to play for quite a few years to come.

But, I realised upon lifting the turntable to see if there was possibly more damage from the moves, that there is an oil'valve' (? english is not my first language) and realised I never knew if she needed new oil (if she even does?)

How do I check this? And if I am able to check this, and she needs new oil, how do I go about that? What kind of oils would she even need?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
garrardmary.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: How to (know how) to refill oil on Garrard 1924 motor?

Post by Orchorsol »

Here is a thread about the Garrard Super with lots of information: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23483

It would be interesting to see photos of your gramophone! "Garrard Super" refers only to the motor.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Welcome to the forum:) It is always nice to see and welcome new members with dedication to their gramophones. I am sure you soon will get good information from members knowing this gramophone/motor. Myself I am not (yet) into oil motors.
Good luck to you...and Mary :)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hello and welcome!
And yes, send photos of Mary! Surely it's a great machine!
Inigo

Hertog
Victor Jr

Post by Hertog »

Orchorsol wrote:It would be interesting to see photos of your gramophone! "Garrard Super" refers only to the motor.
I am aware that that is just the motor ^^ I mostly have videos of her playing, instead of photos. :)

Thanks for the link, I'll see if there is anything that refers to my question in the thread.
Last edited by Hertog on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hertog
Victor Jr

Post by Hertog »

Here's Mary ^^ (the quality of the recording is horrible, sorry!) need to find the other clips too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2-6U6dmeBI

[EDIT:] Here is a much better clip of her playing <3 This video was taken at one of the many storages that she has been in over the last couple of years :X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=732rgQ_ ... e=youtu.be

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

That is an interesting machine. The soundbox looks like a Columbia no. 9. The tone arm I don't recognize, but looks similar to the HMV 101 tonearm. What model of machine is it? or is it a custom machine that someone made?