German portables...Odeon, Parlophone etc.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: German portables...Odeon, Parlophone etc.

Post by nostalgia »

I finally had time to open the motor of the blue Odeon Model 9102, shown above here in a post from July 23rd. As told by our HMV experts and aficionados, this machine is the Odeon version of the HMV 97/Columbia 204.
I took some photos of the motor today, and even if some major parts are missing from the motor (surprise, suprise when I opened it today) the motor looks to me exactly the same as the motor found in the HMV 97. I will not try to pinpoint the exact number of this particular motor myself, even if it possibly can be a 794 motor (?), similar to the motor found in this red HMV 97: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44204&start=0 (According to the HMG book, the 794 motor was found in the HMV 97B machines.)
Attachments
Motor inside the Odeon 9102 (1).jpg
Motor inside Odeon 9102 (2).jpg
Motor inside Odeon 9102 (3).jpg
label.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another Odeon portable to this thread, I believe posting photos of the different German portables when they look up, is the only way to try to get a kind of overview of the different Odeon/Parophone portable models. What puzzles me most about this portable is the model name "SIb". How do you read this name yourself ? Would you say it is a big "S, big "I" and a small "b". It does not really make sense to me, it looks very odd... how would you decipher this "name" ?
(I have not bought this machine, even if it is up for sale.)
Attachments
Odeon portable....jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I'll take the chance to underline once more that, according to official HMV maintenance instructions, the fibre gear has to be greased.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Hi Marco, I don't know if your response here maybe was meant for a different thread?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Not really, but I realise that this gramophone is not by HMV.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I understand you now think about the Odeon machine I posted photos of back in September last year, shown above in this thread. Yes, this is not a HMV machine, and the photos were uploaded just to show that Odeon actually were using a HMV motor normally found in a HMV model 97 inside this Odeon portable. I just uploaded photos of the maintenance instructions and motor parts to expose the inside of this Odeon machine back then. The motor is missing its spring barrel etc, and I have put it aside since back then waiting for more parts,,parts that later have turned up, so it will be a project for the spring.

The latest addition to the thread was another Odeon portable, with this, to me..mysterious model name: " S I b"...

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

How about this beauty? It's a Parlophone "Cantorette", which has a retractable, folding winding handle. The two sockets in the lid are to plug an electric reproducer into, enabling the machine to play through a radio. A couple more German machines to be added later.
Attachments
P1050441.JPG
P1050442.JPG
P1050443.JPG
P1050443.JPG (117.38 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
P1050444.JPG

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Next is an Electrola 88. Very similar to the British HMV 99, but of a very much better quality.

Barry
Attachments
P1050446.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Vow, these are real beauties, Barry:)) Thank you for posting them, it makes it all so easier for future reference too. I believe they are your machines too, right?
It feels good to see some more German machines in this thread, also showing that excellent European portables were made outside the UK in this period. :squirrel: :clover: :geek:

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Two more Electrola models. Both have Dual motors, which can be operated by electricity or spring power. The blue one is the 106U, and the red is a 106UP, which has the added refinement of an electric pick-up, and in this case, the record carrier that sits on the turntable,
Attachments
P1050451.JPG
P1050452.JPG
P1050450.JPG
P1050447.JPG
P1050448.JPG
P1050449.JPG