Anyone recognise this vendor?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Anyone recognise this vendor?

Post by CharliePhono »

Finally was able to collect my "new" 157 gramophone. It's getting the usual cleaning, servicing, polishing, and the like. I wondered if anyone might have heard of this vendor?

Edit: I must have breathed in too much Flitz today; I forgot that Google is my friend and found this most interesting piece on the business: http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org ... s-ltd.html
Attachments
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG (89.59 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Last edited by CharliePhono on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Anyone recognise this vendor?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Established 1794: that music store is older than many countries!

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

The video attached to that website is also a fascinating watch - although a sad indictment to the mood of the time in which it was shot ie that old buildings were only good for demolishing. Many architectural gems were lost during this period in the UK, replaced with concrete monstrosities which are themselves already being replaced after only 40 years of life. Shame that the buildings that had stood (in some cases) for hundreds of years had to be cleared to make way for them.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Great to see another 157 is saved, serviced and polished. :) I am looking over my shoulder and my own 157 wants the same, but it has to wait in the line of upcoming services. To avoid being forgotten it is however placed in my bedroom, so it is the first thing I see every morning! It is also a great sight to wake up to.
Interesting website, and great video, and yes..it is sad how old buildings have been sacrificed for concrete monstrosities, it is the same everywhere in the "modern" world where short time profit comes first, last and always...