EMG on Galiano Island

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Re: EMG on Galiano Island

Post by mjbarnes »

From a letter I received concerning the photo which was in fact a postcard:

Interestingly, both the Scoones name & ... a gramophone !! ... figure prominently during the early years of the Galiano Club. Paul Scoones was one of the founders of the Club in 1924, was the Board Secretary for many years, served eventually as Club President. He was British born, Eton-educated, cultured, lived in a large house --- which mostly still exists on MaryAnne Point, on Active Pass --- full of books & art & music. A bit of an anomaly in the 200-plus pop. of Galiano at the time. He sometimes went by the title of Vice-Admiral, sometimes called himself a Professor. In 1929 when the BC Lieutenant-Governor, R.Randolph Bruce, visited the island it was "Vice-Admiral Scoones" who welcomed him, toured him about. One of the festivities organized was the official opening of the Galiano Hall, a formal dance produced by the Galiano Club. Mr.Scoones provided art works to decorate the Hall walls & ... a gramophone (to supplement the music of a 3-piece orchestra hired to play).

Later, in the 1930s, when the Galiano community was attempting to raise funds to purchase the land that is now 'the Bluffs' (a park overlooking Active Pass), Mr. Scoones organized a series of "musical evenings" in his house using his gramophone & a vast collection of classical records.

The photo you refer to is of that gramophone located in the library of the Mary Anne Point house of Mr. Scoones. When the Galiano Club celebrated its 75th anniversary some years ago, the Club produced a CD of old gramophone recordings & used this photo as a cover sleeve. (The necessary funds were eventually raised, the Bluffs lands purchased, with ownership given to the Galiano Club which retains title to this day.)
Two of Paul Scoones's nephews later both served as President of the Galiano Club. One of his nieces, the artist Elizabeth Steward, served as Club Secretary for many years. So, the Scoones name appears throughout a good long part of the Club history.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Very many thanks for this fascinating insight which really fires the imagination. Thoughts of the merry Vice-Admiral standing resolute on his deck commanding the scene with his foghorn at his side are great fun.

Hopefully you will be able to add to the story when next in the area.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Interesting story about the Galliano Club, but does anyone know what happened to the phonograph? Is it still there, or in the hands of Scoones' descendants?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

I am going to do some sleuthing for the gramophone and will keep you all posted.

vichighmathguy
Victor O

Post by vichighmathguy »

I have just seen this thread on the E.M.G. Mark Xb Export Model gramophone with jointed horn that is on Galiano Island. In 2007, I was invited to give a talk on this machine and used notes taken from the now famous book on the EMG/Expert machines. Regrettably, the reproducer was in less than peak condition and did not show off the machine's potential. I took my Expert reproducer from my home here in Victoria, BC, and think I likely used it to demonstrate the machine. I had offered to rebuild the reproducer but that was not followed up. I shall attach a few photos of the machine.
IMG_2224.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg
IMG_1309 (1).jpeg
IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1313.jpeg
IMG_1307.jpeg

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Many thanks for sharing these photos! I am delighted that the machine survives - hopefully, they will grant the soundbox a proper rebuild. Hope to see it in person someday.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I'm drooling

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

I am wondering if that EMG is a Xa Export, as it has the narrow knuckle and the early tonearm rest. Next time you are there, could you measure the horn mouth to confirm? Cheers!