EMG on Galiano Island

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: EMG on Galiano Island

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote: Unfortunately colour photography was not mainstream in the nineteen-thirties and I do not know of any original pictures but the images below are taken recently from the inside of Expert Senior and EMG Xb Oversize horns. In these cases the colours are black and gold but would have been far more iridescent eighty-five years ago.
It is interesting to see the first photo, it is identical to my EMG's horn inner side. The exterior, however, is completely darkened with a drab brown shade.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

phonosandradios wrote:Out of interest are there any close up pictures of the original finish on these horns? Is it a marble type look? I have often wondered as many of them either look very dark today of have been painted.
Here is my Xa’s papers, when I got this machine the whole horn had been covered in a thick layer of gold paint, I managed to remove it on the inside, revealing the original papers, unfortunately I couldn’t remove the paint on the outside without destroying the finishing papers, so the external papers are new, but I have a fragment of the original outer papers in hope someday I might find a similar paper
0A5301D6-D74B-4BFE-9E2A-D50579B16CBB.jpeg
D0B3DA85-A963-4740-A27F-4BFF9867243C.jpeg

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Thanks for that - it really is interesting seeing the variation on these up close as it is something you just don't see any pictures of and I think it is good to see some examples documented. I also find it interesting that some horns are finished with long strips of paper, others much smaller bits.

Also picking all that paint off carefully enough to preserve the delicate papers underneath must of taken a LOT of patience! :shock:
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Wonderful picture, made my day.
Here are a few pictures of two original EMG paper sheets. The gold paper is vibrant in colour with some sort of pressed textures. In the dark one, you can feel the alligatoration effect.
Attachments
EMG.-Original-Paper-Both.jpg
EMG.-Original-Paper-Dark-small-section.jpg
EMG.-Original-Paper-Dark-tiny.jpg
EMG.-Original-Paper--Gold-small-section.jpg
EMG.-Original-Paper--Gold-tiny.jpg

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

I had no idea that the inner papers were embossed as well as printed so thanks for this detail. And it seems that the outer papers were always very dark and haven't just degraded to that. Interesting. Thank you.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks all for these interesting photos! I have no EMG, but plan to build one, one day...
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Fabulous photos Chunny, very many thanks. I had forgotten you have those original papers which are probably the only existing examples of what the colours looked like when new. Such an important record (pardon the-almost- pun). The gold and black must have looked totally stunning.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

phonosandradios wrote:....it seems that the outer papers were always very dark and haven't just degraded to that.
Some exteriors were painted and often in lighter colours. Indeed, some horns became rather heavy having been covered in plaster of Paris or gesso, then smoothed back before decoration.

mjbarnes
Victor Jr

Post by mjbarnes »

The southern Gulf Islands, like Vancouver Island, were settled by many immigrants from the British Isles. Immigration was encouraged; First Nations peoples were ignored and pushed onto reserves. Settlers really noticed the Gulf Islands from 1858 when a gold rush began: prospectors went to Victoria (on an island) for a license, then had to get to the BC mainland to begin seeking their fortune. From the 1870s settler communities began to develop on all the little islands.
The picture I posted is a repost from a Facebook history page of Mayne Island — right next to Galiano — where I have a home. The fellow who posted calls himself a “Visual Storyteller”; he did not provide any historical background on Mr. Scoones or his house or his gramophone. I wrote the storyteller asking him to provide me some context, but he has not replied yet. If he does I will add information here. I have first dibs on the EMG if it shows up; something tells me that is unlikely. Only once have I seen an EMG come up for sale in my province. It had a smaller horn, it was priced at $400, and it sold within hours (not to me). That was years ago before I knew anything about the make. In fact I have only known it since last autumn when I started reading this forum just at a time when there was a lot of discussion of the make.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

mjbarnes wrote:The southern Gulf Islands, like Vancouver Island, were settled by many immigrants from the British Isles. Immigration was encouraged; First Nations peoples were ignored and pushed onto reserves. Settlers really noticed the Gulf Islands from 1858 when a gold rush began: prospectors went to Victoria (on an island) for a license, then had to get to the BC mainland to begin seeking their fortune. From the 1870s settler communities began to develop on all the little islands.
The picture I posted is a repost from a Facebook history page of Mayne Island — right next to Galiano — where I have a home. The fellow who posted calls himself a “Visual Storyteller”; he did not provide any historical background on Mr. Scoones or his house or his gramophone. I wrote the storyteller asking him to provide me some context, but he has not replied yet. If he does I will add information here. I have first dibs on the EMG if it shows up; something tells me that is unlikely. Only once have I seen an EMG come up for sale in my province. It had a smaller horn, it was priced at $400, and it sold within hours (not to me). That was years ago before I knew anything about the make. In fact I have only known it since last autumn when I started reading this forum just at a time when there was a lot of discussion of the make.

Good luck on your search and I hope you track it down. It's like an exotic big-game hunt. I sailed through there about 3 years ago (well, on the ferry with my car) and stayed on VI for awhile.

My friend Kris in Vancouver, from whom I bought my 31a, sold an Expert Junior awhile back (pictured and linked). Perhaps he has crossed paths with it at some point.

http://www.radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio- ... Expert.htm
Attachments
10.jpg
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse