EMG expert?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: EMG expert?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

soundgen wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:If that is true about possible provenance on this machine it is arguably the most famous EMG gramophone in the world.

Surely you mean infamous !
While I suppose it could be called that, I was meaning famous as in the most publicized. The videos the original owner was posting were my first impressions of the EMG gramophone, and seeing the machine in a corner gave me the idea of putting an upright Victrola in a corner which boosted the sound about as much as you can really boost a very ordinary one. When I was saying "famous" that's really what I mean. Whatever has been said about the owner (and whatever he did or did not do) that particular gramophone was probably, for many people--specifically younger collectors who grew up on the Internet--their introduction to the EMG.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
While I suppose it could be called that, I was meaning famous as in the most publicized. The videos the original owner was posting were my first impressions of the EMG gramophone, and seeing the machine in a corner gave me the idea of putting an upright Victrola in a corner which boosted the sound about as much as you can really boost a very ordinary one. When I was saying "famous" that's really what I mean. Whatever has been said about the owner (and whatever he did or did not do) that particular gramophone was probably, for many people--specifically younger collectors who grew up on the Internet--their introduction to the EMG.
For sure that gramophone and its predecessor, an EMG, were filmed in action more than a thousand times! I am not sure about fame though, as each of these clips got at most only some dozens of views each. On you tube there are some individual clips of a gramophone playing a record that for some obscure reason get hundreds of thousands of views, like this of a crapophone playing a 50's 78 rpm that accumulated three hundred and seventy thousand views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx02oTgfxVU. Now this you can call a famous piece of out-of-tune crap!

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Were the EMG gramophones ever imported to America?edisonplayer.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CarlosV wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
For sure that gramophone and its predecessor, an EMG, were filmed in action more than a thousand times! I am not sure about fame though, as each of these clips got at most only some dozens of views each. On you tube there are some individual clips of a gramophone playing a record that for some obscure reason get hundreds of thousands of views, like this of a crapophone playing a 50's 78 rpm that accumulated three hundred and seventy thousand views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx02oTgfxVU. Now this you can call a famous piece of out-of-tune crap!
AND It's playing a 75 LP according to the poster :lol:

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

edisonplayer wrote:Were the EMG gramophones ever imported to America?
Only by a few enthusiasts. There was never a commercial link between the firm in London and the States as far as I know and there seem to be very few examples on your side of the pond. EMG did make the larger horns in two parts (the Export models) to reduce shipping costs. A good market existed in further-flung parts of the world where electrical power was unavailable and spring-driven motors were essential.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

I have found that location in a room can make a considerable difference. I do have the EMGs in respective corners, and it seems the room's side walls aid in the sound transmission. In our last house, moving the Victor Credenza from one wall to the other was a revelation - dramatically better!
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
soundgen wrote:
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:If that is true about possible provenance on this machine it is arguably the most famous EMG gramophone in the world.

Surely you mean infamous !