HMV 101 "Swiss Cheese Edition" in for a service...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
bikesteve
Victor Jr

HMV 101 "Swiss Cheese Edition" in for a service...

Post by bikesteve »

As a collector and 'fixer upper' of HMV 102 Portables here in Hong Kong I was recently asked by local DJ Colin Aitchison (Has his own weekly show RTHK 'Vintage Chart Toppers') if I could take a look at his HMV 101 which was exhibiting all the symptoms of never having seen a service in over 90 years. I was warned in advance that the case was a little 'fragile' -it was barely existent at all beneath what was left of the tattered Rexine on the front right side
IMG_1385 3.jpeg
IMG_1402 2.jpeg
:o
Guess in most cases it would be best to break it for spare parts but this 101 has a little history to it that sets it apart somewhat. It was made in Calcutta and sold through 'The Handel Coy Music Warehouse Quetta to be purchased in 1928 by Flight-Lieut Keens, 31 Squadron Quetta.
IMG_1400.jpg
Thankfully the woodworm seemed more than content to just feast on the bottom half rather than the lid that carries the original owners details (also inscribed on the motor board), so we'll keep an eye out for a doner 101 lower case.
The motor despite looking a little unloved has cleaned up beautifully although the solid grease in the spring's taking a while to budge.
IMG_1394 2.jpeg
IMG_1395 2.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpg
Presumably the original owner (pictured below) returned to the UK with the 101 which was acquired by its current owner and flown to Hong Kong in more recent years.
IMG_1445.JPG

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Re: HMV 101 "Swiss Cheese Edition" in for a service...

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Very neat to have the story and info on the original owner.