EMG with Wilson horn

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Calle
Victor O

EMG with Wilson horn

Post by Calle »

On eBay an EMG with Wilson horn is offfered for 1500£ several times but without any bids.
Why ? Everybody is saying that EMG gramophones are good, sought-after and so on, but nobody seems to be interested in it ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horned-Gramo ... SwdilfZHEE

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: EMG with Wilson horn

Post by CarlosV »

The collection-only sale limits the potential buyers to locals, which may explain the lack of interest.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This machine is already the subject of a thread, started by me, on the eBay section.

Another factor restricting it's appeal is the incorrect soundbox. An EMG soundbox of the correct type, if one can be found, will cost several hundred pounds.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

In addition to the incorrect soundbox, a probable reason for the lack of bidding could well have to do with the possible problem with the horn. There is a suspect creasing showing movement where the internal metal casting ends demonstrating a potential structural weakness at the point of maximum stress. An effective repair would be difficult internally and more or less impossible to conceal cosmetically externally. Some users employ a support further towards the mouth of the horn which adds unwanted complication. The vendor does say he has owned the gramophone for many decades and "the photograph clearly shows the horn to be self-supporting" but it is not clear if it has been stored horizontally or vertically during that time.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I think it's partly to do with the model of EMG, too - the Mk VIII doesn't have the iconic "question mark" shaped horn, and can be a little more difficult to live with domestically (the horn either has to stay horizontal and can be a nuisance and/or vulnerable to damage, or detached from the base and probably stood somewhere vertically, ditto). But they're a great performer and I think a lot of us enthusiasts feel that the value is roughly on a par with the Mk IX. Having a smaller horn than most of the EMG external horn models the bass frequency extension is not as low as the larger ones, but the Mk VIII has a real magic all of its own, perhaps because it's a purer design (straighter horn). One downside however, is the lack of a lid - apart from the even rarer Mk VIII Deluxe which has one - so they are prone to needle talk whereas other EMGs are not (if the lid is closed when playing). A great many swings and roundabouts!

Personally, I adore my Mk VIII and would have an extremely hard time parting with it - if I had to downsize seriously, it would be one of the last to go.

As has been mentioned, the lack of an EMG soundbox with this one devalues it by maybe £500 or more, then there's the structural concern with the horn, and as mentioned on the other thread I think there's a hint in the photos the tonearm might have a droop or a bend - one would really need to see it and 'vet' it in the flesh - hence, all the more, geography contributing still further to its difficulty in finding a buyer.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Back on eBay again description is now getting slightly dramatic / paranoiac but new pics show horn in a good light :D

in response to an enquiry I should say that the horn has been stood on the bell end on a flat surface for about 40 years. As you can see from the photograph it is self supporting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293785315655 ... 3785315655

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I understand that when the machine was first listed, an offer of £1400 was rejected. With hindsight, perhaps it should have been accepted.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Just to try to unite these two threads, there's a parallel one in 'eBay and Craiglist alerts' where this thread should have been in the first place: posting.php?mode=quote&f=14&p=279412
Orchorsol wrote:
soundgen wrote:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47004

Back on eBay again description is now getting slightly dramatic / paranoiac but new pics show horn in a good light :D

in response to an enquiry I should say that the horn has been stood on the bell end on a flat surface for about 40 years. As you can see from the photograph it is self supporting.
Also I THINK the new photos show that the concern over whether the tonearm might have a droop was unfounded. As always, better photos help massively! IMHO it's probably a reasonable buy now, even factoring in hundreds of pounds for an appropriate soundbox. I wish the seller luck in finding a buyer. Sadly even desirable things like this can seem mysteriously blighted once they've been round eBay multiple times. If it were me I'd take it off for a couple of months and try again with even better, fresh photos.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?