Graham-ophones.co.uk website is down

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Graham-ophones.co.uk website is down

Post by nostalgia »

I was about to check some soundboxes online this morning, and as usual, I tried to visit the Graham-ophones.co.uk website, that for me has been the biggest and best reference website since I reignited my interest in acoustic gramophones in June last year. The website is now however no longer accessible, and I fear the contents may be gone forever, something that would be a huge loss. Graham Barber's repair/restore website disappeared earlier this year, and now the main website also seems to be gone.
Is there any chance for the website to be saved? Does someone know the descendants of Mr. Barber, or is there a link between one of the forum members and his descendants, so at least the content of the website possibly can be saved?
Myself I would have no problem contributed to paying the yearly fees for having kept this unique website open, since it is a treasure trove of gramophone information and tips to both newbies and "oldies" alike.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Graham-ophones.co.uk website is down

Post by Phono48 »

I'm in contact with Grahams' widow and son, so I'll try to find out what has happened.

Barry

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

This is the reply I have just had from Graham's wife:

It is because the domain name has now expired for the website It is still up but under a free address hosted by the website builder. At this current time I do not have that to hand.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Barry.
If I understand this correctly, are we only talking about unpaid renewal costs of the domain names/hosting to get the websites back up and running? I had some websites in the past, and know that if a domain name is not quite quickly renewed after it has expired, the domain name will become hard to regain. I checked cheapdomains.com right now and the renewal cost for a .co.uk domain is around £ 7 a year.
Myself I will be happy to contribute to the continuation of this website(s) if the family want the website to still be up and running. To make it happen though, someone in the UK with some basic knowledge about websites and associated payments etc. maybe need help his family to take care of this, if they want this help?. If the domain name is not renewed though, the database with all the photos and written content (webpages)belonging to the domain, will after a short time be deleted by the webhosting company.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

renewal date was last week
Attachments
agraham.JPG
agraham.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 3319 times

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Soundgen.

Then the time is urgent, if the content also is not stored on a working computer, the content will be forever lost if the small fees are not paid the sooner the better. IF the family want the websites to be online, I will even offer myself to keep the website up and running if it is a matter of administrative problems. I would even pay the fees, if no one else now is taking care of the website. To get access to the account, one would of course need the password. If the password is mislaid, the password retrieveal function will easily get access to all the account information.

Maybe you can ask Barry, if the family wants help with all this, or if they prefer the website to disappear from the web?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote:
Maybe you can ask Barry, if the family wants help with all this, or if they prefer the website to disappear from the web?
I'm sure Grahams' family wouldn't want the website to disappear, so I will pass on the information, and leave it up to them to proceed from there. The last thing I want to do is interfere in what is, after all, a family matter.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

All good, Barry.
I lost a complete website a few years back, due to being too late to pay the renewals.
Let's cross our fingers for this wonderful website to keep being there, on top of Google, where it belongs.

PS. As many of us know, Graham's Restore A Gram website disappeared from the web some months ago. If this main website is saved, the content of the restore website may be stored on the same server, and then possibly also can be saved...

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

nostalgia wrote:I was about to check some soundboxes online this morning, and as usual, I tried to visit the Graham-ophones.co.uk website, that for me has been the biggest and best reference website since I reignited my interest in acoustic gramophones in June last year. The website is now however no longer accessible, and I fear the contents may be gone forever, something that would be a huge loss. Graham Barber's repair/restore website disappeared earlier this year, and now the main website also seems to be gone.

I also used Graham's web pages often and also noted the demise of the repair /restore page a while ago , I wondered at the time whether the main site would go so in anticipation I printed off all the pages as pdf files , probably not the best way to preserve them as they are not so easy to look at , but I can provide copies it the site can't be resurrected

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

That must have been a monumental task, Soundgen. I started it myself too some months ago, but never finished it. If the website don't reappear, this is good news that you have the content as pdf files.