HMV 100 (non colonial)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

HMV 100 (non colonial)

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Hi all, so came across a non colonial 100 for the first time. So thought I'd share some snaps with you. Like most of the other machines I've shared, this one is from small town India too. About 120 km outside Delhi. I keep getting contacted via whatsapp by suppliers to the crapophone / fake antique industry as word has got around there's an eccentric idiot who will pay for old gramophones...

And its funny that the 100 has managed to last this long despite lacking the robust teak exterior.
Attachments
101-4.jpg
101-3.jpg
101-2.jpg
101-1.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV 100 (non colonial)

Post by Phono48 »

Obviously all original, but strange that it has a lid catch and a "Pakawa" carrying handle, both of which are usually found on much later 101s. This indicates that this machine was manufactured in India, (or taken there from England) when the 100 had been obsolete in England for some years.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Does it have any stamp markings on the motor board, underneath the turntable ?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Phono48 wrote:Obviously all original, but strange that it has a lid catch and a "Pakawa" carrying handle, both of which are usually found on much later 101s. This indicates that this machine was manufactured in India, (or taken there from England) when the 100 had been obsolete in England for some years.

Barry
Hard to say by the pictures, but it also seems that the soundbox is not an Exhibition, is it?

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

poodling around - Good question. The dealer says there's nothing under the turntable. But I think he was looking for a plate / serial number tab rather than a number embossed into the wood.

Barry - Good point! The machine could well have been taken from England in the 30s and left back when its owner returned. Would explain the non teak model.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Hard to say by the pictures, but it also seems that the soundbox is not an Exhibition, is it?
I think it's a No.4.

Barry

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

The woodworm riddled 101 that I serviced recently had MADE IN CALCUTTA stamped on the motorboard and was Rexine covered.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46431

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

bikesteve wrote:The woodworm riddled 101 that I serviced recently had MADE IN CALCUTTA stamped on the motorboard and was Rexine covered.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46431

I suspect that my rexine covered HMV 101 may also be from India - although it doesn't have 'made in calcutta' stamped. It has a different stamp and a metal 'tag'.

Does yours have a metal tag as well I wonder ?

This was the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40432

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

I didn't notice a metal tag as I never removed the horn, but it also had a dealer tag in the lid of a music store in Quetta Pakistan.

moni
Victor Jr

Post by moni »

Maybe too late - but can you please share a photo of this label from Quetta?
Thanks for your kindness