Grey HMV102

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Grey HMV102

Post by epigramophone »

The seller of the grey 102 which is the subject of this thread listed it with a starting price of £39.99. Unrealistic yes, but unrealistically cheap.
It was the bidders who pushed the price up to over £400. The seller got a pleasant surprise, but the buyer has more expense to come.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Somehow, I have a feeling that the prices of "our gramophones" have raised after the corona situation started. At least that is what I have experienced in my area. Have any of you experienced the same? Coloured HMV 101s and 102s ( but also black machines) in particular are also sold at higher prices than during the summer of 2019.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote:Somehow, I have a feeling that the prices of "our gramophones" have raised after the corona situation started. At least that is what I have experienced in my area. Have any of you experienced the same? Coloured HMV 101s and 102s ( but also black machines) in particular are also sold at higher prices than during the summer of 2019.
Unable to travel, eat out or attend concerts, antiques fairs or auctions etc, people with disposable income are increasingly turning to on line spending on everything from groceries to gramophones. Portables are easy to pack and post, and as always HMV's tend to make the best prices. This is a good time to sell, as I have discovered.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

There are still bargains out there. Last night on Ebay there was a very nice 163 at a buy it now price of £100 !!! Needless to say it sold very quickly .............

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

nostalgia wrote:Somehow, I have a feeling that the prices of "our gramophones" have raised after the corona situation started. At least that is what I have experienced in my area. Have any of you experienced the same? Coloured HMV 101s and 102s ( but also black machines) in particular are also sold at higher prices than during the summer of 2019.
In spain it's the same. 101s are listed in our local sites at high prices... From 180 to 600 euros! Other dealers seem to have maintained prices.
At our local flea market, prices for uprights and tabletops were normal before the pandemic, uprights sold by gypsies being incredibly cheap. Now the market has been closed by the authorities since March. They've conducted protests, for many families having stalls and antique shops are suffering from the lock down.. They're claiming authorization to reopen at 50% occupation at least...
Inigo

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

soundgen wrote:
nostalgia wrote:It is still interesting to see a grey HMV 102 at a close up photo. Hopefully it will appear a nicer, and even cheaper copy at your "doorstep" in the not too distant future, Roger! :clover:

And while we again discuss the 102, what did I buy today? I bought it for the soundbox and handle only, but the non wooden motorboard? I don't remember if later black 102's came with non wooden motorboards? Is it again an extremely dirty blue machine? It looks very black to me.
It's Black and a made in Great Britain model for export
The 102E was not specifically an export model -- it's just that, in the early post-war years, government diktats ensured that most were exported, especially in 1950-53. When home sales resumed, the black 102 was marked 102H, but I have never found any difference between it and the 102E, and coloured ones for home sales seem all to have been Es.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

The grey 102s are a rare beast, I had two examples until a few months ago when one sold on eBay for more than the example in the original post. To get two I bought every one I saw on sale for about 15 years though (there was another but the bottom had been re-covered with black material). They are certainly rarer than the brown 102 (I've had twice as many of those). Fortunately each time I've bought a 102 with a No.16 soundbox it has proved to be in very good condition (so they at l east are out there).
Interestingly the last grey one I bought came from the USA.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

It sometimes happens that when an item sells on eBay for a high price, other examples come out of hiding and sell for less when it becomes clear that they are not quite as rare as was once thought.

For example, I recently sold a Teak HMV101 for over £500, considerably more than I was expecting. Another which looked to be in similar condition then appeared and sold for £345. A third has been on eBay for months at a fixed price of £599 and remains unsold.