The different HMV brakes/autobrakes

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: The different HMV brakes/autobrakes

Post by Phono48 »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Does anyone know if that part can be dubbed without having to re-upload the clip again?
Marco, I really wouldn't worry about it! You made the video to show the workings of the No.3 brake, which it did admirably. It would only have mattered if the subject of the video was the gramophone, rather than the brake. Forget it!

Barry

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Well, I'll fix it one way or another...

Thanks to all for the unexpected warm reception of this short homemade clip! :rose:

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another brake, found on a yet unidentified HMV Table Grand, with a Nipper-on-Red-Base transfer. I have never seen this version of the Cannon brake before. Anyone? The machine also has a Dennison speed control, and what appears to be an Exhibition soundbox ? I need ask for better photos of the soundbox, since the photo is so confusing, to me the soundbox does not look like a regular Exhibition soundbox, but I can be wrong..I only slept 3 hours last night.;)
Attachments
7.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

nostalgia wrote:I am adding another brake, found on a yet unidentified HMV Table Grand, with a Nipper-on-Red-Base transfer. I have never seen this version of the Cannon brake before. Anyone? The machine also has a Dennison speed control, and what appears to be an Exhibition soundbox ? I need ask for better photos of the soundbox, since the photo is so confusing, to me the soundbox does not look like a regular Exhibition soundbox, but I can be wrong..I only slept 3 hours last night.;)

the soundbox looks like an Exhibition to made in the USA design

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote:I am adding another brake, found on a yet unidentified HMV Table Grand, with a Nipper-on-Red-Base transfer. I have never seen this version of the Cannon brake before. Anyone? The machine also has a Dennison speed control, and what appears to be an Exhibition soundbox ? I need ask for better photos of the soundbox, since the photo is so confusing, to me the soundbox does not look like a regular Exhibition soundbox, but I can be wrong..I only slept 3 hours last night.;)
The brake is pictured on Page 255 of HMG and is described as a Cannon brake circa 1905 to 1912.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I was looking at the photo on page 255 in the book, Roger, but somehow this cannon brake looks different than the one pictured in the book. Maybe it is a variation, if they ever had variations?
Maybe it is a Model 8 in mahogany, pictured on page 171 in the HMG book. The cannon brake puzzles me though, since Model 8, according to the book was manufactured between 1914-1922. Checking the book, the machine does not really look like any other model from the same period...
Attachments
3.jpg
8.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It is only the base plate of your brake that is different from the illustration in the book and as it looks to be a seperate part, it could be that yours has had a replacement, (especially noting the two different screws holding the two parts together) or that the original design was altered.
I agree that your machine does indeed look like the No.8, which is on page 171, the ony obvious difference is that the transfer in the lid is in a different place.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

This is an Exhibition version we dont see too often. made for the Scandinavian market. But where was it manufactured?

I have not bought this machine, at least not yet. I am flooded with HMV Table Grands really, but the soundbox is for sure interesting.
Attachments
10.jpg