PAPER HORN "BALMAIN"

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: PAPER HORN "BALMAIN"

Post by epigramophone »

I have updated my previous post (above) with my impressions on seeing and hearing the Balmain yesterday.

Roger.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Impressive! Amazing!
ITOH, I want to remark, for your comfort in next trial, that the Meltrope iii rubber collar fits snugly and perfectly on the backplate collar of the hmv no4 and 5a soundboxes. You only have to remove the two screws, extract the original rubber collar (with the brass insert) and put in its place one Meltrope rubber collar. The inner diameter fits also snugly on the hmv tonearm; there is a different type of collar for the narrow swan neck -1925- and for the larger 1927 bore. The outer diameter is the same, as both soundboxes use the same diameter as the Meltrope (iii).
An added advantage of not having the inner brass insert with the pin, is that you can adjust easily the needle angle on the record.
I use those red rubber Meltrope collars in my most loved hmv machines. I find it much better than the original.
When I want to use the Meltrope, I take the rubber from the hmv and put it in the meltrope. I only have two or three collars, one of each type. So I have to share them between the different soundboxes.
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Well, after all the magnificent work we have been treated to over the past year, here is the finished masterpiece in action. It is a fabulous joint creation and a huge credit to both people :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rpb4Xui1fk

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It is amazing!
Inigo

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

I can't tell what gives me more goose bumps on the back of my neck, the "Teddy Bears Picnic" or that marvelous machine ! :)

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:13 pm Well, after all the magnificent work we have been treated to over the past year, here is the finished masterpiece in action. It is a fabulous joint creation and a huge credit to both people :

Congratulations to Alastair, it is a beautiful achievement! Much more complex than the mercury pool, but certainly more eco-friendly. It sounds quite well and looks great, I am sure it will bring happy hours of entertaintment. Very nice video, as well!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

emgcr wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:13 pm Well, after all the magnificent work we have been treated to over the past year, here is the finished masterpiece in action. It is a fabulous joint creation and a huge credit to both people :

Thank you Graham for making it possible for everyone on the forum to see the video of this unique machine.
Neither Alastair, Liz or myself were able to post a link to it here, because none of us has a YouTube account.

Roger.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Just fabulous to see it finally complete, working so well and sounding superb - heartiest congratulations!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Greetings ALL! Thank you for your kind remarks re the reproduction
I have just looked in to hear the machine playing in the video. A lot of time was spent when recording the "Teddy Bears' Picnic". Liz had brought along all the necessary acoustic blankets and tripods, recording equipment, meters, etc., and after some time in placing blankets over just about every door and window, the recording was made. Several tries were attempted, until finally the no 5a soundbox was attached and that gave the best all round performance it seems. The Meltrope was good with extra bass, but the treble a little wanting (must have been my fiddling with it too much!). A no 4 mica box was also used earlier on. It was very acceptable, with a good all round performance. A Ginn soundbox, 4 spring was tried also on this recording day. Disappointing I thought, as I expected a really marvellous sound, that must have succumbed to my "adjustments" also.
This recording of the "Teddy Bears' Picnic is one of the later pressings, but the surface noise was bit better on this than on one of the original pressings from around 1932, "DB 955-maroon label)
As I said before, much of the credit must go to Adrian's remarkably fertile brain, and his ability to manufacture on his mighty Harrison lathe the necessary bits. It has been good for him as well as for me to have this project to help us along in the last year or so, as I only started the horn, at the earliest, end of July, or start of August. I originally wanted to produce a Mk8 Wilson horn model, but after looking through various papers and magazines, the idea of an up to date "Balmain" machine seemed pheasable, and so it has taken off from there. Frank James, over three years ago, supplied the aluminium horn former, a lot of sugar bag paper, and good advice and encouragement! Sad to think he is not with us to hear it.
The size of this horn, about 24 inches diameter and over 50 inches long, can never be compared to Graham's magnificent oversize gramophones, which to me, and all who hear them, produce the best sound possible from any acoustic machine, and praise must go to him for his efforts which have cost him dear, but reaped the benefits for all his years of work.
The "Neo-Balmain" machine is a novelty, albeit a reasonably good example of "straight line amplification, probably with a similar quality of sound as from Peter Heath's machine from over 20 years ago, and John Cook's more recent machine, which is featured on various videos, and on some of the earlier "paper horn Balmain" pages on the forum.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I forgot to add this picture, which shows the acoustic blankets, etc pre the recordings on the machine.
SUNP0075 (1).JPG