PAPER HORN "BALMAIN"

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: PAPER HORN

Post by chunnybh »

The man who made the splendid red-horned Balmain is John Cook and we have arranged to meet to examine construction methods and make a video or two to demonstrate performance. I shall be able to upload more details in due course.
Can't wait, very exciting. I remember the articles by Peter Heath in the Hillandale News; the B&W pictures threw me off but now it looks like it is the green horn machine.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

chunnybh wrote:
The man who made the splendid red-horned Balmain is John Cook and we have arranged to meet to examine construction methods and make a video or two to demonstrate performance. I shall be able to upload more details in due course.
Can't wait, very exciting. I remember the articles by Peter Heath in the Hillandale News; the B&W pictures threw me off but now it looks like it is the green horn machine.
Likewise, wow!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Hi Graham, many thanks indeed for the PDF files which I will enjoy looking at now. You are most kind, and very helpful.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice articles, thanks, Graham. I started in CLPGS by 2003 or so... I remember it was the 2nd year of For The Record... so I missed the New Balmain articles. Thanks again!
Inigo

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

My pleasure Inigo. I think they reveal important information of great interest and importance to all of us. More soon !

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

For The Record
was originally "The Hillandale News. You can download all the issues here:
https://archive.org/details/thehillanda ... ads&page=1

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

The Balmain articles are issues numbered 231 (Autumn 2000) and 232 (Winter 2000/01).

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

old country chemist wrote:.....but I also have not ruled out the Mk8 idea, which may be easier to make! The main problem with that is the exponential conduit under the motor board, which connects the horn to the tone arm. I thought of manufacturing this "plumbing" from two halves of hardwood, gouged out so as to produce the necessary reduction in diameter required. Perhaps one of you may have some measurements from an original conduit that they could place on the forum for me? I would be grateful.

Alastair Murray

If you do decide to build something along the lines of the Mk VIII I could probably let you have my spare Mk IX conduit which became surplus from the conversion to the Nimbus horn system. I used a remanufactured conduit cut at the appropriate place to ensure coincidental internal diameters etc.

I have also attached a sketch of the bronze spigot which will give you the dimensions to incorporate into the small end of your horn.
Attachments
EMG Mk IX conduit in aluminium.JPG
EMG HORN SPIGOT..JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for the link, Chunny! Lots of reading ahead!
Inigo

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Very good Graham and thank you! for the offer of the conduit for the Mk8, and the drawing with the dimensions for horn spigot, which I will copy out and keep for reference just in case I decide not to make the Balmain type machine, but it is so interesting, and I look forward to more information regarding the John Cook machine. The articles of the downlaods are quite technical, but it is an excellent article in two parts for anyone who, like me, is thinking about making that style of machine.
I am hoping to go before the end of the week to see a few "gramophone boxes"-old hornless sty;e cases, which if I remember then, are not in bad order. I have been reminded by Roger that ther is a good motor plate and motor in an old "wormy" Orchorsol cabinet, still with the wooden tone arm, but soundbox gone! I hope to see that next week. So things are moving along.