PAPER HORN "BALMAIN"

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: PAPER HORN "BALMAIN"

Post by emgcr »

A good demonstration is to play an HMV 31 with an EMG horn. The conduit is made from very resonant thin-wall steel sheet which allows all sorts of unwanted frequencies and losses. As soon as the conduit is heavily lagged, the acoustic delivery from the mouth of the horn is massively improved : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P1trPQYh_s

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

The only other example of linear tracking I have come across involves a virtually unique and clever prototype HMV/Lumière :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASnGZzwbZM

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

emgcr wrote:The only other example of linear tracking I have come across involves a virtually unique and clever prototype HMV/Lumière :
A parallelogramophone? Playing Beniamino Gigli no less.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote:The only other example of linear tracking I have come across involves a virtually unique and clever prototype HMV/Lumière :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASnGZzwbZM
Thank you so much Graham. Beyond the brilliance of the reproduction Balmain, and the amazing spectacle of witnessing the comparisons with EMGs here on the TMF and over YouTube (plus all the supporting information), that's a great thought of yours to include the prototype linear Lumiere in this context!

It's quite something to reflect with wonder on the technical marvels of our favourite age of gramophones and records, now coupled with those that allow us to share and enjoy them so widely and informatively in this age...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

That straight-line Lumiere isn't quite unique; there's another example somewhere. It was originally designed as an attachment for fitting to your existing gramophone, but was killed off by the advent of electric recording and matched impedance gramophones, just as it was about to go one the market. The 'other' example was such a kit, which someone had mounted on a home-made deck using a 101 motor, and it was sold in the 1980s at Christie's South Kensington. See His Master's Gramophone, page 244

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Ha! I am grateful Christopher and that is exactly why I referred to "virtually" unique ! I was thinking of the comments made in your excellent book. Your greater knowledge is much appreciated. Very many thanks.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Orchorsol wrote:
It's quite something to reflect with wonder on the technical marvels of our favourite age of gramophones and records, now coupled with those that allow us to share and enjoy them so widely and informatively in this age...
Beautifully said---I could not agree more---how lucky are we ?

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Regarding the "Balmain" gramophone.I had a very pleasant enlightening talk last evening for over an hour with John Cook, the builder of the red horned "Balmain" machine.I will be 'phoning him occasionally to ask more advice, and Graham has some measurements for me-most kind, so I can plan ahead the work and materials required. I did obtain what looked like a nice Garrard 11b motor. It looked well oiled, but the unit is faulty. I am now looking for a decent, quiet, double spring motor for my "Balmain"machine.
Yes, we are indeed fortunate to have on this forum some very helpful, members with tons of knowledge regarding acoustics and all the things allied to gramophone and record collecting. What a great bunch you all are. I salute you all!!

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I can certainly help with a good 11B Garrard motor including deck-plate (if required) and winding handle.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

inside 002.JPG
Just to say that the sugar bag paper horn has now been released from the aluminium former. Unfortunately, now that we were able to view the inside, it has the looks of either the surface of the moon, or a warthogs backside! I used aluminium foil over the former before starting to paper it back in August. I have been told that The aluminium foil had not been put on the former tight enough. My own idea as to why it is so wrinkly is that when we were drying it, the horn was facing the sun in the conservatory, and the interior got very hot. My wife is on the case now. She has sourced a product, a paint with a special filler. It is applied over the whole area, and before it has dried, has to be smoothed down. I am not sure if it can be sanded after drying, but we shall see.
After the horn was released, a ring had to be made round the mouth of the horn, so a non-resonant material was used-greenhouse dribble hose! It is made of a rubber composite material, is full of minute holes, and the surface was uneven making it suitable for the application of six coats of sugar paper to help locate it after gluing the ring in place with epoxy glue.
Mr Adrian Tuddenham of Bath, a great chap who will make anything, and repair almost anything, has made me an excellent exponential former of wood and aluminium for the last foot or so of the horn, as mine was missing. I am now experimenting with various release agents to apply to the wood so that the many layers of paper that will be applied will release easily.