HMV recording Archive photos

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Re: HMV recording Archive photos

Post by phonosandradios »

Interesting. I just assumed that a horn to capture an orchestra would of had a wider opening to it. THanks for posting these by the way they are very interesting to see.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Thanks for the information, recordmaker... I thought the tape may have been used for that reason or to keep them together...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

That solved the metallic rattling problem, the tube resonance was sometimes regulated by small holes 1 or 2mm in diameter in the wall of the horn at the small end that were covered with bees wax and the wax removed from 1 or two holes to provide a controlled leak a the high pressure end.

in these pictures the horns were possibly not a secret that could be kept, considering that performers and musicians worked for more than one company however the recorder box at the other end of the horn is in a fully enclosed room behind the panels so could be to some extent.

in general photos do have to have somewhere for the photographer to be and where there are celebrities they tend not to be standing in recording positions as they tend not to be photogenic that way. so things are not natural due to a cover up more due to circumstances.

Small horns are sometimes good for big groups in small wood lined rooms where the reflected bass notes may otherwise overload the recorder, however in the Elgar one the closeness of the first violin suggests a solo but I note that this could not have been the Elgar violin concerto as the recording of that is by a female violinist in the acoustic era.