Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 am
Steve wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:25 am .......or Columbia.
The Columbia fitting is wider.
It is, you're quite correct. I've seen some "adaptors" which permit the wider fitting to join the narrower elbow but I'm not sure of their provenance.

It might be a horn sold with it in foreign territories but obviously not the horn it would have had in France. I didn't know they sold this model outside of France though. Did it ever appear in a UK catalogue?

I have several Pathé horn machines but none of them were ever sold over here.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you to everyone, for congratulations, inputs, advices and suggestions. Thank you Carlos for uploading photo of this replacement part, I will for sure look for this aluminium part after initially testing out a kind of repair that I for some time have wanted to test out on metal parts. Photos of that will follow,if it is successful.
I will have a closer look at the horn, and see if the elbow has the correct screw fittings for the horn, thanks for suggesting that, Jamie.
Curt and Roger, yes I know this was a very lucky buy, and also, I was checking the ad at the right time, and was only 30 minutes away from the seller in driving distance etc.

I was absent from the forum yesterday evening after feeling a bit strange...after licking the horn yesterday morning, it became too difficult to avoid tasting the green mint color :mrgreen: But honestly, I did not know they used arsenic for painting the horn in a green color.

I know you are curious about the price paid. I really am a very humble guy, living VERY sparesely and not owning much outside my gramophones. I am also not even remotely close to have a bragging character ( and always very sensitive to other peoples feelings), and I am also very aware of that I live in an area with prices that are impossible to find in other part of continental Europe, also due to an obvious limited interest in antique gramophones in my area. All that said, I paid the set price €150 for the Pathéphone.
Last edited by nostalgia on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:40 am Thank you to everyone, for congratulations, inputs, advices and suggestions. Thank you Carlos for uploading photo of this replacement part, I will for sure look for this aluminium part after initially testing out a kind of repair that I for some time have wanted to test out on metal parts. Photos of that will follow,if it is successful.
I will have a closer look at the horn, and see if the elbow has the correct screw fittings for the horn, thanks for suggesting that, Jamie.
Curt and Roger, yes I know this was a very lucky buy, and also, I was checking the ad at the right time, and was only 30 minutes away from the seller in driving distance etc.

I was absent from the forum yesterday evening after feeling a bit strange...after licking the horn yesterday morning, it became too difficult to avoid tasting the green mint color :mrgreen: But honestly, I did not know they used arsenic for painting the horn in a green color.

I know you are curious about the price paid. I really am a very humble guy, living VERY sparesely and not owing much outside my gramophones. I am also not even remotely close to have a bragging character ( and always very sensitive to other peoples feelin :D gs), and I am also very aware of that I live in an area with prices that are impossible to find in other part of continental Europe, also due to an obvious limited interest in antique gramophones in my area. All that said, I paid the set price €150 for the Pathéphone.
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the Modele 12 in top condition (and depending on which horn it has attached to it) can make anything from €1500 to €2500 in France, make that €3500 with a pavillon torsade.

It is one of the most elegantly designed cases out there and a real stunner. You got an absolute bargain for certain!

Well done!!!!!! :D

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Steve, I was immediately aware of that this was a rare gramophone when I saw the ad, and was thinking in the direction you now confirm, even without not really having checked the market or past sales etc. Everything happened so quickly. Since I joined the forum two years ago Pathephones have been in my back head, and also I have a few times thought I had found one, that later when exposed here on the forum proved themselves not to be a Pathéphone. I never did buy any of these machines, and the forum has been invaluable also this way, but this time...I had confidence in acting quickly, and was able to detect myself that this was the real deal. I also did not have the time to upload photos before buying the machine, I understood it all had to happen quickly.

I had to Google "pavillon torsade" and understand it is a Pathé horn.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 am Thanks Steve, I was immediately aware of that this was a rare gramophone when I saw the ad, and was thinking in the direction you now confirm, even without not really having checked the market or past sales etc. Everything happened so quickly. Since I joined the forum two years ago Pathephones have been in my back head, and also I have a few times thought I had found one, that later when exposed here on the forum proved themselves not to be a Pathéphone. I never did buy any of these machines, and the forum has been invaluable also this way, but this time...I had confidence in acting quickly, and was able to detect myself that this was the real deal. I also did not have the time to upload photos before buying the machine, I understood it all had to happen quickly.

I had to Google "pavillon torsade" and understand it is a Pathé horn.
Yes, pavillon torsade is the most coveted horn for any Pathé model. They were an "optional accessory" or upgrade and never actually supplied with any specific model. I have Concert Modele 'A' (which shares the bottom cabinet molding with your 12) with one fitted to it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That Pavillion torsade is the horn which has the petals kind of a spiral instead of straight? It is!!
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I took some photos of the elbow and the screw fittings on the horn. They fit perfectly together as I see it, but I don't know if this tells if the horn was following the machine or not. I leave that to those of you who are into that. :geek:
Attachments
juli 2021 005.jpg
juli 2021 004.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

nostalgia wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:54 pm I took some photos of the elbow and the screw fittings on the horn. They fit perfectly together as I see it, but I don't know if this tells if the horn was following the machine or not. I leave that to those of you who are into that. :geek:
I think that fitting is looking good. Old and certainly not recently adapted. I would be pleased with the horn.... well unless a torsade horn comes your way and considering your history maybe at a low price. :o

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You guys know that I am prone to make jokes on the forum, but the green paint comment is true. Paris green or Scheele's green are both highly toxic, but they are both beautiful shades of green made with arsenic. People used to die in beautiful green rooms, unaware of the reason. Modern green paint does not use arsenic... Paris green was used to kill rats in Parisian sewers, hence the name.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 4.59.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 5.01.07 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Gnup! :o
Inigo