Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
physicist
Victor O

Re: Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Post by physicist »

I don't think that there is any direct connection to Mead & Field's. This would have been sold by the Mead cycle co.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Mead_Cycle_Co

The Gramophone, August 1925 reported on a competion which included a Mead model 505 :-

https://reader.exacteditions.com/issues/33622/page/18

I also found an ad in Popular Wireless 1922 :-

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-U ... DX-114.pdf

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations on this Mead horn gramophone, Roger. It looks very nice, and well built. And thanks for uploading, it is always nice to see a new horn gramophone listed.
"No room..and no use"...well, I know all about that, and...I guess most of us in here recognize well that feeling. :geek:

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Very beautiful! Congratulations!
Were there many machines in the auction? Did you notice which one was the cheapest, and which the most expensive?
Inigo

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

physicist wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:29 am ...The Gramophone, August 1925 reported on a competion which included a Mead model 505 :-

Thank you for posting that one. It's from a lengthy account of the 1925 Gramophone Congress hosted by The Gramophone magazine, and on a skim I see it's a very interesting read in its own right; I look forward to coming back to it when I have more time. Paging through is just a matter of changing that number at the end of the URL. The article starts at 11. Interesting to see it talking about tracking error, a subject that I, at least, tend to consider more of a modern-day concern (although at least one or two forum members raise it from time to time here, as well). Before that is something about opera in London, I think, that contains some amusing (to modern sensibilities) assertions, like, paraphrasing, "we could well have done without so much Elektra, and we were sorely lacking Meyerbeer." Somehow, I'd be surprised if anyone published those sentiments today!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Inigo wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:17 am Very beautiful! Congratulations!
Were there many machines in the auction? Did you notice which one was the cheapest, and which the most expensive?
There were over 30 machines in the auction and rather more records than we usually see at Malvern.
The cheapest was a Columbia 204 with a Harrods label which was a steal at £10.
The most expensive was the EMG Mk.IV at £750, already discussed on another thread.
The bargain of the sale was an Edison Diamond Disc Model BC-34 in good condition and with an additional lateral reproducer.
Few people had room to take this horizontal grand machine home in their cars, and as a result it sold for a miserable £38.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

physicist wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:29 am I don't think that there is any direct connection to Mead & Field's. This would have been sold by the Mead cycle co.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Mead_Cycle_Co

The Gramophone, August 1925 reported on a competion which included a Mead model 505 :-

I also found an ad in Popular Wireless 1922 :-

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-U ... DX-114.pdf
Thank you for these interesting links. The machine advertised in Popular Wireless would have looked distinctly old fashioned by 1922, and the number of monthly instalments required to purchase it is not stated, but what would I give for a copy of the "Illustrated Art catalogue"?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Again, buying more than what I have room for and what I need, but...I could not resist this machine, at a very good price. It is a beautiful machine as I see it, and it is also big.
It has a Polyphon Expression soundbox and a Steidinger double spring motor, I am uploading some photos for reference. I don't know more about it than what the motor and soundbox is showing....

The motor board has a challenge, we can see the wood is warped at the end of the board, and the mouldings have loosened and later on been glued.
Is there a way to correct the board? I read somewhere online that one can use a wet towel and try ironing the board, but will it destroy the finish, and if trying this method, is it possible to try ironing on the back side of the board, or would this not work? I have never tested out such work, and would better ask now than later be (very) sorry.
Attachments
oktober 2021 021.jpg
oktober 2021 020.jpg
oktober 2021 019.jpg
oktober 2021 018.jpg
oktober 2021 017.jpg
oktober 2021 016.jpg
oktober 2021 015.jpg
oktober 2021 014.jpg
oktober 2021 013.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Roger, wow! Thanks for the report... I would have enjoyed a lot being there...
Nostalgia, do you live in gramophone land? It seems so... This looks very beautiful, and I'm sure you can put that motorboard straight. You can try wetting the inner side, and pressing with sargents . If the original finish spoiled by this treatment, I don't know. I had a similar problem, and I corrected it a bit by this method, but in the end I had to grind the wooden board to get it apparently straight. Mine was less problematic, as it was the base board, and only the edges moldings were seen outside the machine. Nevertheless, the finish didn't get spoiled, at least not much. A bit of linseed oil and wax made it look acceptable. My machine wash a bit tattered, though, and now the looks of it are old but cared for... Some war wounds only... Yours looks beautiful, and you'll have to think about it and decide by yourself...
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for the advice on this horn gramophone, Inigo. I will start working on this machine in the next few days.

Does someone recgognize the machine I here post photos of? I have not bought this machine, but it could be interesting to try to identify it. It has a Garrard motor, even if the back bracket reminds me of a German/Swiss type of horn gramophone. We can see a round plaque on the motor board, but it is impossible to view the details from the available photos.
Attachments
335_1915439923.jpg
335_1363218438.jpg
3 (2).JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have been able to identify it, I asked for more photos from the seller. It is a German machine, made with English motor and soundbox. Photos uploaded for reference.
Attachments
c3726ab4-a9cc-4790-bc2d-225c1c5c40a3.jpg
a75ecde9-8d8b-40fb-814b-818c483b4aa1.jpg
9b8fdd6f-4eaf-4c05-8f9d-9e47c8b72b27.jpg