Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Horn gramophones to indentify and discuss

Post by nostalgia »

I have changed the subject line on this thread, instead of starting a new thread. I will use this thread as a general thread to show horn gramophones I feel can be interesting to discuss/identify, or exhange opinions about. Everyone is of course welcome to post photos of horn gramophones, if they feel like it.
I am adding another one, sold as an antique horn gramophone, apart from it, I have no other information but the photos shown below and I also myself unable to identify it.
Attachments
3.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Horn gramophones to identify and discuss

Post by epigramophone »

The machine appears to be genuinely old, but whether all the components started life together is open to debate. The impressive horn looks too large to be the original, and the overly long winding handle suggests that at best the original has been lost and at worst that the machine has been re-motored.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another one that is up for sale in my area. Sold as an Edison Bell gramophone. I know hardly nothing about Edison Bell, and googled this minute that the company was set up in 1892 to handle Edison's manufacture rights in the UK ( and was acquired by Decca in 1933). I also was able to find an Edison Bell horn gramophone named "Discaphone" , but that machine does not look like this horn model.
Because of it, I am not in the position to tell if this is a genuine Edison Bell horn gramophone or not, so to learn more, it would be interesting to know if someone is recognizing the machine, or even can tell more about it.
Attachments
Edison Bell 5.jpg
Edison Bell 1.jpg
Edison Bell 2.jpg
Edison Bell 3.jpg
Edison Bell 4.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What's that opening at the front... ? Is it record storage?
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am adding another horn gramophone to this thread. It is not everyday one can buy a horn gramophone for € 30, but it happened yesterday, and I collected it today. I did not see that it has been re motored when I saw the photos before buying it, but it really does not matter too much, since I anyway did not plan to keep it. Before buying it I thought the winding handle was missing, so when the handle was there, that was a plus.

I bought it for the ornament, the low price and I also saw the soundbox was there, when collecting today it turned out to be an Odeon Grand soundbox, but I am myself not in the position to tell if this originally was an Odeon horn gramophone, since I am not familiar with Odeon back brackets. I believe it is German or Swizz though, because of the text on the label.

I upload some photos, if someone recognizes something from this horn gramophone it could be interesting to know. I also upload photos of the two spring motor, even if it is not original to the machine. ( The motor is unbranded).

I will not keep this machine since it is re motored, but want to try recreate some of its beauty and function, despite its " heart transplant", before I pass it on to someone else who can enjoy it in the years to come.
Attachments
Horn gramophone 1.jpg
Horn gramophone 2.jpg
Horn gramophone 3.jpg
Horn gramophone 4.jpg
Horn gramophone 5.jpg
Horn gramophone 6.jpg
Horn gramophone 7.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The blue horn which you pictured on 20th October is probably British, as UK Columbia used the identical design on their last external horn models, the No.2 and the No.2a. If the horns were bought in, it is possible that Edison Bell used the same supplier.

The horn on your latest find (and what a bargain it is) suggests Beka. A similar machine from their 1911/12 catalogue is pictured below.
If you do not intend to keep this machine, it's appearance and value can be improved before sale at very little cost. May I suggest repainting the horn (which appears to have been previously and badly repainted) in a single colour, and disguising the redundant winding hole as far as possible.
Attachments
Image.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I never bought the Edioson Bell horn gramophone, it became too expensive for me during the auction. I still added it to the forum, since it was a good looking machine, and was interesting to look at. Thank you still for interesting observation and input, Roger.

Thank you also for suggesting that the horn gramophone I bought today, possibly is a Beka. Thank you also for posting the catalog picture! I actually have a Beka horn gramophone that I have still not sold, that has a Union motor inside. Out of curiosity, I will measure and check if this gramophone also originally had a Union motor, it will be interesting. I actually also know where I can get hold of a Union motor, hmmm..

And yes, I have already planned to disguise the redundant winding hole as much as possible. About repainting the horn, I agree that this horn does not look good, but the idea of repainting is also something that really scares me, since I am not at all the artistic type, and never have spraypainted anything.

Can someone give me hints about how this could be accomplished without making it too complicated? Would car paint on aerosol cans work? Too avoid problems I guess it would be easiest to spray paint in one color only after stripping the horn.It is also winter time in my area, and my garage room is unheated, so I would not start a project that is too time consuming.

Update: I have spent a few hours cleaning the cabinet extensively. As we can see this gramophone has not only received a new motor, but also a back bracket. A real frankenphone ! I still want to make it look and work as good as possible with the new motor. It will look good by the fireside etc, since all its components are old, and the person repairing it (obviously quite some years back in time) has made quite some effort to make it work and look good.

And yes, the screws holding the lid will of course go !
Attachments
back.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I have found that brush painting gives good results, working from the narrow end outwards and painting one panel at a time to maintain a wet edge, finishing with the rim.
Special masking tape with a removable centre section, available from car accessory shops, is good for gold pinstriping.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I thought matbe some of you would like to see how the frankenphone, that I from now on will call a Christmasphone, ended up. Nothing to brag about of course, but I am still pretty happy with the outcome, and also this was the first horn I have ever painted. Just basic painting of course, but in total I think the machine has been revived and given a new life. Hopefully, it also looks a bit better than when I got it a month ago. The motorboard has been stripped and refinished since it was full of burn marks etc. I applied Liberon Light Oak spirit wood dye to this board, before adding a few more components, and in total it matches the rest of the cabinet well, which only was deeply cleansed before restoring its finish and adding wax.

My cat is again inspecting the end result, and she seems to accept it by not leaving the room while playing the test record for this seasonal gramophone. Yes, it is a frankenphone, but I actually now like it a lot, and it also lightens up the dark winter outside the windows.

The youtube video is playing around 28 seconds of "White Christmas" on the gramophone, to end the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s6-tQJ ... e=youtu.be

There is obviously a crack in the wooden frame around the ornament in front, but I decided to leave it after first inspecting the ornament that seemed very brittle and easily could have broken if I tried to remove it from the frame, to repair the frame. Somehow, the crack is also witnessing the age of the gramophone, something that I appreciate....

The card belongs to me, I bought it a few weeeks back, and felt it goes well along with the "Christmasphone" and even if it is a bit early...."Merry Christmas, and healthy and peaceful seasonal greetings to everyone on the forum" !
Attachments
Christmasphone 001.jpg
Merry Christmas.jpg
Christmasphone 01.jpg
Christmasphone 2.jpg
Christmasphone 3.jpg