Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Post Reply
Garret
Victor IV
Posts: 1156
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: München, Bayern

Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by Garret »

Hello!

I'm looking at an early HMV 102, because I'd love to experiment with the brake. However, does anyone have any experience with mold or mildew on these machines? I'm interested, but don't want to touch this if the mold has the ability to penetrate the leathercloth.

Garret

Image
Image

epigramophone
Victor VI
Posts: 3659
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by epigramophone »

I have treated worse cases than that on portables by first removing any loose mould with a damp cloth and then if necessary using a mould remover designed for use on fabric.
Any remaining discolouration can be disguised with black shoe polish, but with any treatment leave the lid transfer well alone.

I doubt that the mould has penetrated the fabric as none of the metal fittings have rusted, so the interior cannot have been significantly affected by damp.

Garret
Victor IV
Posts: 1156
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: München, Bayern

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by Garret »

So the mold can come off, or at least be treated. What about the smell...?

Garret

User avatar
phonosandradios
Victor II
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:49 pm
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!
Location: Wiltshire, UK

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by phonosandradios »

Once it has been cleaned and the mold treated I've found just leaving it open in a warm, dry and well ventilated environment will see the smell go. It will take a little while though. I would be reluctant to spray it with anything as you don't know how the materials will react plus it would likely only mask the smell. A good clean and carful washing of the felt would most likely greatly reduce any smell anyway.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

soundgen
Victor V
Posts: 2617
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by soundgen »

phonosandradios wrote:Once it has been cleaned and the mold treated I've found just leaving it open in a warm, dry and well ventilated environment will see the smell go. It will take a little while though. I would be reluctant to spray it with anything as you don't know how the materials will react plus it would likely only mask the smell. A good clean and careful washing of the felt would most likely greatly reduce any smell anyway.

all above good , I have had this problem on several occasions and use pledge or Mr Sheen furniture polish to remove the mold , smells OK and as said leaving the lid open to dry completely ,

Dulcetto
Victor II
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by Dulcetto »

I have had several portables with far worse mould -- I always use just a slightly damp cloth or sponge to wipe off any mould , then drying off fairly quickly with a separate cotton cloth . Spray cleaner such as Mr Sheen will work too, but I have found just ordinary water ( ie damp cloths and sponges ) to work just fine. Unless really advanced ( which your mmould attack is not ) there should be no damage to the leather-cloth , but any edges or small patches of leather-cloth may have become loosened and require gluing down. Any smell from the mould will disappear eventually

HMVDevotee
Victor O
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!
Location: Western North Carolina

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by HMVDevotee »

I was once advised by a restorer of textiles that I use a solution of water and white vinegar, or even straight white vinegar for porous materials, to remove and prevent further mold growth. I've tired both on different objects and while the odor of the straight vinegar is initially overpowering, it eventually dissipates.

I've not tried either a solution of or straight vinegar on the cover material of HMV portables and do not know how vinegar may effect the finish of the material. The vinegar may not even be necessary in your case, but if you intend on keeping the case closed for long periods of time, it might be beneficial. Just a thought....

ymg200
Victor O
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:53 pm
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Re: Mold and Mildew on HMV 102 - Can It Come Out?

Post by ymg200 »

Vinegar is acid. I would definitely not apply it to textiles unless it is diluted. Even if there is no hole burnt in a fabric right away, acid definitely hurts it. I can't advise how much to dilute vinegar as I haven't done it myself.

Post Reply