Motor Spring Question

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Motor Spring Question

Post by poodling around »

I know what the outer end 'pear shaped' description means but what is the inner end 'hole' connection ?

http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/garrard-1.html
Attachments
garrard.JPG

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Motor Spring Question

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote:I know what the outer end 'pear shaped' description means but what is the inner end 'hole' connection ?
Since the inner "hole" is exactly the same as the outer one, it's just another way of saying "pear shaped"!

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote:
poodling around wrote:I know what the outer end 'pear shaped' description means but what is the inner end 'hole' connection ?
Since the inner "hole" is exactly the same as the outer one, it's just another way of saying "pear shaped"!

Barry

So ......... both ends of the spring (inner and outer) attach themselves using a pear shaped 'hole'.

Thanks very much Barry.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

What do you think the word " hole " means ?? look in a dictionary if you are unsure !!

OK To be fair , there are basically two ways in which the inner end of a spring is attached to its arbor -- either by a pin or stud fitted into
the arbor that engages into a hole drilled in the spring , or some springs have a shaped inner coil without any hole drilled -- those springs engage to a shaped hub or cam , the spring having a correspondingly shaped end. Those are known as hub fittings. To be correct , not all inner end holes are pear - shaped (although most are ), the exact hole profile can vary between manufacturers -- some are just oblong slots .

Better still , why don't you buy up a few old gramophone motors -- they don't cost much -- and educate yourself ??

As I was told 50 years ago -- you can read as many books as you like and ask as many people as you like , but ultimately the only way to gain accurate knowledge is to have a hands on approach and learn yourself !

poodling around
Victor V

Dulcetto wrote:

What do you think the word " hole " means ?? look in a dictionary if you are unsure !!

OK To be fair , there are basically two ways in which the inner end of a spring is attached to its arbor -- either by a pin or stud fitted into
the arbor that engages into a hole drilled in the spring , or some springs have a shaped inner coil without any hole drilled -- those springs engage to a shaped hub or cam , the spring having a correspondingly shaped end. Those are known as hub fittings. To be correct , not all inner end holes are pear - shaped (although most are ), the exact hole profile can vary between manufacturers -- some are just oblong slots .

Better still , why don't you buy up a few old gramophone motors -- they don't cost much -- and educate yourself ??

As I was told 50 years ago -- you can read as many books as you like and ask as many people as you like , but ultimately the only way to gain accurate knowledge is to have a hands on approach and learn yourself !

Ah ha ! I see, thanks very much Dulcetto.