The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-motored "Die Stimme seines Herrn" Cabinet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:42 am 
Victor III
Keep winding up
This is for sale in my area, we can see it is re motored, and the seller also says so in his ad, but says it is a HMV motor installed. The model is unknown to my eyes, but for those of us who has the HMG book it looks very similar to the G.A.O./G.A.M model that is viewable as a drawing on page 103 in the book. Somewhat similar to the Junior Grand, but still with differences.
An original motor would be needed, it maybe should an early double spring...?...and also a new soundbox, I now know it is a Goldring, that is rather crappy.
"To do or not to do, that's the question! Price: 100 euro.

I can't say I am too attracted really, if it is not "super rare", something I doubt...

Any comments are welcome.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 678.97 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 732.33 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 616.39 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 937.93 KiB | Viewed 327 times ]

Post subject: Re: Re-motored "Die Stimme seines Herrn" Cabinet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:40 am 
VTLA
TMF Moderator
I like it and would be all over it if it was near to me. DGAG (Deutsche Grammophon AG) cabinet models in good condition aren't too plentiful as far as I know, but a question on the German forum https://grammophon-platten.de/news.php would probably yield more information about this specific model. 100 euro doesn't sound bad if only the motor needs replacing...

Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 pm 
Victor Monarch Special
Needle Tins are Addictive
I think it's a great looking machine and it seems to be a bargain, especially since there is no telling what records those are in the cabinet. As long as the top works (tonearm, reproducer and turntable) are original, I wouldn't be too concerned about the motor. As long as it works for now, I would use it as is until the correct motor could be found. I also like the German trademark decal...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:46 pm 
Victor IV
This is a HMV GAO model, which according to the His Masters Gramophone book was sold outside Great Britain. An unusual model, worth collecting and restoring with its original motor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 am 
Victor III
Keep winding up
Thank you for all good comments. Yes, it is a model that obviously is not turning up often, even if both the original motor and original reproducer/soundbox is missing from the machine. My challenge is that too many good gramophones are turning up this autumn, and both my small house, borrowed repair garage room, and rented storage room are now flooded with gramophones. :squirrel:

To make things worse, two gramophones, the early HMV table grand that is shown in another recent thread, in addition to a black HMV 97, is now standing on my kitcen table, undergoing an overhaul ( and a scrappy Columbia portable is in my car, still in its shipping box), but I was (luckily?) able to resist a good looking HMV 157 during the last week, that also tempted me, even if I already have one in my sleeping room!

I have however still put a bid on this Germany made machine, just to be sure it will not end on the landfill, but the offer has not been accepted, at least not yet. The machine may end in someone else's hands, but I am trying to convince myself that it is okay. :roll:

And yes Curt,,,I can see these tempting records too.;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:53 am 
Victor V
Hopefully you'll get this one.
I'd say it's a fairly scarce machine that you're unlikely to see again for quite some time.
It probably used the same triple spring motor that was used in the style No.X/XI (library bijou grand) so wouldn't be all that hard to find, even perhaps complete with a mahogany motor board from an XI.
I'd certainly be tempted to sacrifice one of mine to complete this one if it turned up here for that price.
Good luck!