Edison Bell Cylinder Phonograph Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
MikeB
Victor II

Edison Bell Cylinder Phonograph Questions

Post by MikeB »

Hi -

I just acquired my first Edison Bell cylinder phonograph. I am (almost) completely ignorant about these machines - it is the first that I've run across here in the U.S. From the research I've done, I believe that this is an "Elf," but the painted label on the bed plate is almost completely worn off.

So, some questions:

Is this indeed an Elf?

Is the aluminum horn that I have pictured correct for this machine?

Is there a good reference for identifying the different models of these machines?

This machine came with an American Edison Model C reproducer. I see that the correct reproducer may be the "New Model" reproducer. Are the Model C and the New Model reproducers compatible? I've noticed that the lift lever must be in exactly the right position to play a cylinder with this Model C. Lowering the lever too far results in the stylus being too close to the cylinder.

Thanks - Mike
Attachments
IMG_9751.jpg
IMG_9750.jpg
IMG_9749.jpg
IMG_9747.jpg
IMG_9755.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Re: Edison Bell Cylinder Phonograph Questions

Post by Dulcetto »

Hello Mike , Yes you have an Edison Bell " ELF ". It was one of a new line of British made machines that were marketed by Edison Bell from 1906 onwards for a few years. The models in the range were the " Imp ", "Elf " " Era " and " Don " -- although most surviving examples found today are either the Imp or the Elf . The machines all had the same top works castings ( of which there are slight variants ) but differed in the motor power , having either one , two , three or four mainsprings. The cabinets could also be had in a basic or deluxe version -- with differences in the base mouldings , although the different base mouldings seen on these models may well be just that the cabinets were bought in from different suppliers over the production period. Although as mentioned above , the Imp had one spring and the Elf had two , examples do turn up with three or four spring motors -- my guess is that the range did not sell as well as expected and consequently , parts in stock were used up during the later manufacture. The aluminium horn you have is a reproduction but correct size, ( approx 10 X 8 inches ) but I have seen original adverts which also show a small panelled " flower " horn for this range , either painted for the cheaper models or pressed brass for the " Era " and " Don ".
The Edison Model C and Edison Bell " New Model " reproducers are not quite compatible due to the way the stylus is set in the stylus bars -- the New Model has a longer " reach " than the Model C. By judicious "tweaking " of the little wire link between stylus bar and diaphragm centre in the model C and thus altering the angle of the stylus bar , a Model C can be made to work ok , but this is not ideal as it risks the limit pin bottoming out in the limit loop . I have worked on many of these over the years and everything has to be set up fairly critically to get the machine to play properly. You mention that the operating lever has to be absolutely in the correct position otherwise the stylus digs into the record --- the limit of " throw " of the operating lever is adjustable slightly , it can be moved slightly by loosening off the small hexagonal nut that hold it in place . Although these little machines are visually attractive , they were obviously manufactured down to a price and not that well designed , prone to wear of gear wheels , pinions etc. and can give no end of trouble trying to get them adjusted to play well. Good luck ! Dulcetto

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Mike , I also meant to add that there is no publication for collectors that has been written detailing all the models of cylinder phonographs offered over the years by Edison Bell , although naturally various examples of Edison Bell machines have been pictured in the many collector's reference books that have been published over the last 50 years. Something I had intended to get around to doing " one day " was to write a book on Edison Bell cylinder phonographs -- but there were many ,many models of phonograph offered by this company over the years , some probably sold new in very limited quantities , surviving examples so elusive as to be very scarce indeed . Who has seen an Edison - Bell " Imperial " for example ? ( The " Imperial " was a Pathé " Gaulois " without the Pathé logo ! -- ). Regards from UK Dulcetto

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thank you! Your reply is immensely helpful. I'll probably look for a "New Model" reproducer, then, and use the Model C that came with this on an American Edison. And I did notice that this machine is somewhat rickety compared to an American Edison machine. Thanks again from the U.S. - Mike