The Sknat!; Another day, another soundbox!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Ahmed
Victor I

The Sknat!; Another day, another soundbox!

Post by Ahmed »

I swear I do know my way around a soundbox, but seems this week I've come across a couple that have made me scratch my head and pull out the two hairs I have left

I picked up that Sonat that has been lingering on the bay for a bit; someone had to adopt it!

Now, how does one open one of these? After taking the back off, there's an aluminium disc under it that won't budge. I assumed it's threaded in, but no amount of penetrating oil and unscrewing action would get it moving

It's a beautifully machined piece, and with the Algraphone connection (if I'm not mistaken) it should sound a treat.. if only I can open it

Any pointers would be very much appreciated :)
Attachments
20201118_175804.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: The Sknat!; Another day, another soundbox!

Post by emgcr »

Probably a silly question but is there a hard-to-see grub screw somewhere around the periphery of the case ? Might the two stylus casting screws also be acting as disc retainers ?

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

emgcr wrote:Probably a silly question but is there a hard-to-see grub screw somewhere around the periphery of the case ? Might the two stylus casting screws also be acting as disc retainers ?
I thought that might be the case, but no grub screws to be seen and I removed the stylus assembly and it still won't budge. Plus, because how soft the aluminium disc is, I can't pry it open either. Not a very happy bunny at the moment, lol

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

How thick is the aluminium disc ?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Does the disc absolutely have to be removed? I'm guessing it pressed in. Show the other side of the reproducer please.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

It's about 3-4mm thick I think

No way of accessing the gaskets from the front. Pictures attached
Attachments
20201119_124950.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Try removing the diaphragm screw and then the two screws that hold the stylus bar to the body. The two screws might also hold the back in place.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

chunnybh wrote:Try removing the diaphragm screw and then the two screws that hold the stylus bar to the body. The two screws might also hold the back in place.
I've tried that and no luck in afraid. I've got a feeling it may be pressed in, and only way to take out is to sacrifice the diaphragm and push it out from the front; not something I want to do

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes, a tricky problem. I cannot help feeling that the aluminium disc might be screwed in as there would be no adjustment or guarantee of remaining in position if pressed in. Pressing, to me, would not suggest a good design. Aluminium can be very prone to being awkward to remove after extended periods can't it ? If you have the workshop facility you could try making a spanner with three holes to engage with the three screws you have removed so that you are able to exert twisting pressure. If this were done in conjunction with gently heating the case and irrigating the aluminium with cold water (or ice) you may find some joy ? Otherwise the only option I can see is to machine out the aluminium disc and make another.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

It must be threaded put it back together and hold the back plate in a vice and try to unscrew holding the body it may help to file two tiny flats on the back plate before reassembling shouldn't be noticeable