FRANK JAMES 1940-2020

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: FRANK JAMES 1940-2020

Post by emgcr »

chunnybh wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 am I'd like some feedback on this so I can try and solve the problem.
Absolutely no problem on my PC---works perfectly but the script is smaller on my wife's Mac---no so easy to read. I am sure this must be adjustable on her screen but is an added inconvenience.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

As others have said, what a wonderful and generous gesture by the family - please convey heartfelt thanks.

I don't see how there can be any problem with the new online EMG Story page, as it's a PDF! One has only to adjust magnification in the browser used, or it can be saved to a folder.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Orchorsol wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:42 am As others have said, what a wonderful and generous gesture by the family - please convey heartfelt thanks.

I don't see how there can be any problem with the new online EMG Story page, as it's a PDF! One has only to adjust magnification in the browser used, or it can be saved to a folder.
I am so grateful to have been able to read this book. It presents an entirely new light onto the subject. For me at least.

Accordingly, it seems ungrateful of me to mention, but when I download it and read it on my computer the definition is 'fuzzy' when size of page is increased.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Acrobat has different default adjustments on the menu bar for presenting the pages in screen wide mode, or on while page mode. Maybe the scan was made in different sizes of pages, hence the differences in resolution...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I treasure my copy with it's personal dedication from Frank, and I applaud the family's generous decision to make it available on line.
Hopefully this will put an end to the exorbitant prices asked by some eBay sellers for original copies.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I bought mine from Frank, 20 years ago, and it costed me a mere £20 or so (I don't remember) then a normal price for books...
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Like many members here I too bought a copy in 1998 which Frank duly personalised.

I've just downloaded the pdf to my Samsung Android phone. It took all of 1 second to download and I was sceptical about that until I opened it to find the complete book in clear crisp readable size on my small screen. Zooming doesn't make it blurry either so all in all its a neat handy portable version of the best book written by anyone on gramophones. Thank you Chunny!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:43 am Like many members here I too bought a copy in 1998 which Frank duly personalised.

I've just downloaded the pdf to my Samsung Android phone. It took all of 1 second to download and I was sceptical about that until I opened it to find the complete book in clear crisp readable size on my small screen. Zooming doesn't make it blurry either so all in all its a neat handy portable version of the best book written by anyone on gramophones. Thank you Chunny!
Are we talking at cross purposes ?

I mean, it is nice and crispy when looked at on the website but fuzzy and blurry when downloaded and saved to my computer and that particular downloaded file viewed later ? Zooming, even a little bit, makes it blurry.

Have you tried looking at a solely downloaded / saved version ?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:21 pm
Steve wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:43 am Like many members here I too bought a copy in 1998 which Frank duly personalised.

Are we talking at cross purposes ?

I mean, it is nice and crispy when looked at on the website but fuzzy and blurry when downloaded and saved to my computer and that particular downloaded file viewed later ? Zooming, even a little bit, makes it blurry.

Have you tried looking at a solely downloaded / saved version ?
That's what I'm looking at on my phone, a "solely downloaded / saved version". I haven't looked at it on PC. My point was that its easily big enough for me to read clearly when zoomed in on my phone and it doesn't blur at all.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

My copy saved to file is pretty sharp. Is it possible some computers have default settings that compress larger files when saved?

I wonder whether I might have bought the last new hard copy anywhere, though it's impossible to tell - I searched for ages in late 2012 and finally tracked down a copy at Foyles bookshop in London, somewhat to my surprise. I regret that I didn't ask Frank to sign it on the several occasions when I spent time with him, but I treasure a couple of Oscar Natzke 78s he gave me.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?