How many portables do you have?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: How many portables do you have?

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 am

However my vote for the best, non Colonial portable has to be the DECCA 130. It seriously beats the 101 and 102 for sound quality, has a proper record album in the lid and looks amazing, especially with the full nickel motor plate. I have to make do with a standard Garrard motor plate in my 130 as its the curved end case variant.
I'm an enormous HMV fan, especially for the 102, but in spite of that, I have to agree that the Decca 130 easily beats any HMV or Columbia for tonal quality. The bass has to be heard to be believed, but oh how I hate that huge, ugly soundbox!

Barry

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I have one portable- an Orchosol.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

For me it is a matter of "horses for courses". Portables are fun to collect for their variety of colours and finishes, and for outdoor playing where volume is important. The HMV102 and the big Decca's (I have a 120 purchased from the family of the original owner) score well here, as do the big but very heavy Columbia's 113 and 113a.

For serious musical enjoyment, however, it has to be either an external horn or a good quality cabinet machine whose horn occupies the full depth of the case. I believe that their longer and larger acoustic systems are also kinder to records.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 am I believe that their longer and larger acoustic systems are also kinder to records.
That's interesting. Why do you think that? I'm trying to think why a longer horn might cause less wear to a record.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Steve wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:35 pm
epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 am I believe that their longer and larger acoustic systems are also kinder to records.
That's interesting. Why do you think that? I'm trying to think why a longer horn might cause less wear to a record. So long as the soundbox is fully compliant and functioning correctly and the needle isn't blunted it shouldn't make much difference?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I was told this by a knowledgeable collector, but cannot now remember who it was or the scientific evidence behind it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It could be... A larger horn produces a larger air column load to the soundbox. With the orthophonic style of sbxs, which are very powerful, this is better. Don't forget that the ortho sbx was designed especially for the Victor credenza's huge horn. As in any analog electrical circuit, the power transfer is optimal when the impedances are matched. The ortho sbx and those styles have a great impedance, so the horn must be big. If they are unmatched, the surplus power is lost. The other mechanical derivations in the circuitry may result then overloaded on their own resonances, etc. Si it seems to have kind of logic to think that if the air offers a low impedance to the diaphragm, then the needle vibration will be derived two greater vibrations on the sbx body, the tonearm, etc. and this could be the cause for more record wear, for these parasite vibrations and resonances are reflected back to the needlepoint against the grooves... A similar case occurs when the stiffness/softness of the elastic rubber connection between the tonearm and sbx is not adequate, either too stiff or too soft!
Inigo

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

I've culled my collection of portables over the past year or so to just 3:
- Columbia 113a (my favourite)
- Snake skin HMV 101
- HMV 101A (front wind with needle holder on the side)

I've had about 30-40 portables I think at one point, covering Cameraphone types, Guiniphone, 101s & 102s, all manner of Columbias, odd off brands etc. I never really sat and listened to them much, so they slowly made their way out of the house.

Finally decided if it doesn't get played regularly, it goes.... easier said than done though!

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I had a look around and realised I don't have any portables now, the picnics are ruined!
I've had several over the years, probably the only one I would have kept would have been a Teak HMV 114 I had for a short while which I think I must have sold to raise funds for something, though I wouldn't mind getting one of those cameraphones someday.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:29 am I wouldn't mind getting one of those cameraphones someday.
You're not missing very much, they all sound unsurprisingly atrocious. They are terribly cute though! I had one with a celluloid tortoise shell resonator which looked lovely.