How many portables do you have?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

How many portables do you have?

Post by Inigo »

Latest posts about German portables by colleagues nostalgia and phono48 have raised a question in my mind... How many portables do you have in your collections? I mean suitcase disc gramophones.
I have seven: two HMV 101 (brown crocodile and black rexine), a 102 in black (MOS 1944), a Columbia 113a, a Brunswick Parisian Portable (same as British Guiniphone, but US Brunswick branded), and two off brands with Thorens hardware: One is labelled ANCORA, which I believe was a product by Thorens or other maker.... maybe Spanish . This has the lid bowl type horn and tonearm. Another one is branded Diana, which could be of Italian origin. Similar to the hmv101 but with a very good Thorens no17 metal diaphragm soundbox. The horn is a bad copy of the 101, but not exactly copied, for its flare goes thicker too soon in its path, so the sound is a bit shrill, it hasn't the warm and deep quality of the well engineered 101.
Inigo

Oedipus
Victor II

Re: How many portables do you have?

Post by Oedipus »

I stopped counting when I got to 30 101s ....

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Wow!
Inigo

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Let's see, offhand:

Victor VV-50
Outing (wood case American off-brand)
Kameraphone
Polly Portable
Edison P-1
Decca Salon 130
1 generic no-name

I may have one or two others but that's a pretty good summary.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

One-- Columbia 202.

It's a good one.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

HMV............ 9
Columbia.....13
Decca...........3
Others..........6

Total...........31

Still looking for a Grey 102 to complete the set.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

64 in total. Mixture of British and Colonial Columbias and HMVs, one American 163, and some oddities that have doubtful origins!

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I am "happy" to read someone is more of a :squirrel: than myself in here.;) But I worry about my status, since I have acquired more than 45 portables during the 20 month that has elapsed since I picked up this hobby again in the summer of 2019. So where goes the border between being a :squirrel: and a (mad) collector?, I am not sure, but when I had to rent a small storage locker room for my portables in November last year, I told myself that enough was enough. But, there are always bigger lockers to rent, of course :lol: Around 30 of my portables are serviced, wrapped up in plastic in this storage locker, and waiting for better days, meaning..hopefully a bigger apartment/house to be unwrapped and put on display, but will most probably stay in the storage locker, confirming my status as a :squirrel: The rest of the portables are donor machines, and machines still waiting for service, or missing a part or two.
I had a new years resolution to avoid buying more portables, but what do you do when a(nother) Columbia 160 comes your way two weeks into the new year, and two days later...a blue HMV 97 is offered you at a bargain price, and there is still some empty space in your storage locker..or kitchen counter ( being the last free space in your house) and have the funds available? You of course buy them both, and realize and admit that you are a :squirrel: , and love it that way :lol:

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have
Edison P-1
Outing
Birch
Polly Portable
Jehovah's Witness standing model
edisonplayer.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:20 pm Around 30 of my portables are serviced, wrapped up in plastic in this storage locker, and waiting for better days
Please keep an eye on them! I had one wrapped in plastic in the garage, and when I unwrapped it, condensation had ruined the covering.