How many portables do you have?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: How many portables do you have?

Post by Inigo »

nostalgia wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:38 pm Inigo: ! Oh, God! How I remember that smell of gramophones and how much I liked it.

That's it Inigo, I thought I was the only one in here loving the smell of old gramophones... :ugeek:
Nostalgia, thanks to you. I felt during many years I was the lunatic that loved that smell of gramophones.... If only because my brothers also felt it and understood. Later my daughters and son also smelled it... And lately, just a few days before you and me, someone else has mentioned it... I'll do a search to see if I can find her/him... :D
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Found it! VanEpsfan1914 told it! The incense of the temple of gramophones, referring to a jewel Victor he's found stored in its box for many years, in pristine state

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48259&p=285911&hilit=smell#p285911

:D :D
Inigo

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

About 68 I think .....

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

1 × HHV 88
1 × HMV 97
1 × HMV 101 (front wind)
3 × HMV 101 (side wind)
1 × HMV 102 (blue)
1 × Regal (actually by Thorens and badged as Regal Australia, but have seen the same machine badged Edison-Bell & Dulcephone)
2 × Pal (1 black, 1 blue)
1 × Periphone Pixie Grippa
1 × Decca Junior
2 × Rexonola (in oak)
1 × Rexonola ((black with spring motor and electric pick-up)
1 × Paillard (electric motor and accoustic sound)
1 × Good News portable (round tin case)
1 × Peter Pan

And not quite portables-
1 × HMV 122 (spring motor and electric pick-up
1 × Edison-Bell Little Briton (kids gramophone)
1 × Lumar kids gramophone (in plastic)
1 × Lindstrom Corp kids gramophone No.777 (electric motor accoustic sound)
1 × Garrard electric gramophone (1930-40's)

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Not too many....
1920's Polly Phonograph (4).JPG
Colibri Gramophone (5).JPG
Gipsy Gramophone (18).JPG
Peter Pan #7.JPG
Mikiphone (3).JPG

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

I have two, both HMV and both black: one 101 and one 102. The 102 has a 5B soundbox, while the 101 has a No 4 soundbox but I've also had a 5A soundbox refitted in the back to fit it, for later records.

Of the two I prefer both the appearance and the sound of the 101. I seem to be something of an oddball in that respect, I think. :lol:

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Michael... not quite...
I also prefer the sound and look of the 101s. Many colleagues say that the 102 is the epytome of the acoustic portable, the best one. But still I like more the mellower sound of the 101. The 102 sometimes sounds too shrill to me, and that horrible alignment of such short tonearm is something that always is an obsession for me.. It hurts me each time I see it.
Besides that, the look of the 101 seems more elegant to my eyes. I like the 102, but nine of ten times I take a portable for playing some records, it's the 101. Among all, I love the mellow deep sound it gives to quiet chamber music records, or symphonic ones...
Inigo

bikesteve
Victor Jr

Post by bikesteve »

A total of 7, all 102's
Six working, one a collection of spare parts from previous projects awaiting cleaning & re-assembly, one recently repaired for a friend that keeps forgetting to pick it up.
Each new one I keep saying is the last one...but you know how it is
5ADD893E-250D-4274-B755-B1C60E3C5179_1_105_c.jpeg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I didn't know we were counting miniatures so I need to add a Swiss Mikkiphone (in leather carrying case with instructions, needle tin and original packing box), and a Colibri in leather carrying case with instructions and key. I think that's me done! I sold most of my toy and miniature machines a while ago.

I agree the 101 is the superior machine over a 102. It looks far more elegant, is far better constructed, it sounds better and has a proper record storage compartment.

However my vote for the best, non Colonial portable has to be the DECCA 130. It seriously beats the 101 and 102 for sound quality, has a proper record album in the lid and looks amazing, especially with the full nickel motor plate. I have to make do with a standard Garrard motor plate in my 130 as its the curved end case variant.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Hmmm ...

Here I thought I was the odd man out, but now I discover that I am not alone in my preference for the HMV 101 over the 102 for the same reasons listed by others. :rose:

They are both great machines, but the HMV 101 wins (for me).
Best regards ... AZ*